Saginaw, MI Firefighters were returning to quarters when their driver suddenly went unconscious. Â The Lt. Was able to hit the parking brake and the Firefighter raced to assist the Driver. Â The two then laid the Driver down, initiated CPR, hooked up the AED and shocked him. Â These two deserve a round of applause for their actions in saving a brother Firefighter.
Mlive.com – “While riding back to the station after fighting a suspected arson on the city’s East Side, two Saginaw firefighters noticed something wrong.
Their fire engine, stopped at a red light, began to roll forward before the light had changed.
That’s when Lt.Â Christopher McGowan, 37, and firefighter Brandon Hausbeck, 24, realized their driver was unconscious.
The two men sprang into action, stopping the truck and saving their fellow firefighter, who was suffering a cardiac emergency.
The incident happened on the morning ofÂ Thursday, Jan. 8, at the intersection of Genesee and Michigan, asÂ the fire engine was returning to station No. 2 on Gratiot. The engine was dispatched to helpÂ battle a blazeÂ at 1328 Essling.Â
Although the driver of the truck asked not to be indentified, fire officials are crediting McGowan and Hausbeck’s actions with saving a life.
McGowan pulled the emergency brake and got the driver out and onto the ground, checking for a pulse and removed the driver’s shirt. The firefighters â€” both trained EMTs â€” hookedÂ an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to the stricken driver and the device advised them to shockÂ the man.
They backed away and pressed the button to deliver a shock, which allowed the driver to regain consciousness, Hausbeck said. The two firefighters then performed CPR and placed the victim on oxygen.
The firefighter was still at Covenant on the morning of Monday, Jan. 12, Hausbeck said, and he was expected to go home later that day.Â
Hausbeck said the AED was helpful because he did not know what was happening to the victim before the device analyzed his heart rhythm.
Saginaw firetrucks added the devices to firetrucks within the past two years and the device proved to be crucial for the emergency situation. The department provides CPR and AED training on an annual basis, he said.”…Continue Reading Here