Deadline: June 19, 2015
Salary: $110,000 – $140,000 Per Year
- A Bachelorâ€™s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration or related field.
- A Masterâ€™s degree in Public or Business Administration is preferred with strong experience in local fire service planning with designation as an Chief Fire Officer Designate or Executive Fire Officer Graduate desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible local experience in fire department administration and operation is also preferred.
- Prior experience should include involvement in day-to-day development and monitoring of project based and department level budgets, knowledge of development practice and monitoring of project performance, development and oversight of accountability, development of long-range development forecasts.
- Strong leadership skills in building a team oriented environment including supervisory experience, experience in the successful use of technology to enhance performance and experience in a high level of concise, accurate communication with elected City and appointed officials and staff are imperative.
- At least five (5) years of management responsibility as a chief officer must be demonstrated, with a special emphasis on municipal fire department planning and management.
- Expertise in project reporting is expected, with a good understanding of the process.
- Experience in serving as a prime spokesperson on fire-rescue matters, especially working with required agencies/organizations is expected. Prior Fire Chief experience is desirable.
- Possession of a valid appropriate driver’s permit issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia;
- NIMS ICS 400 certification;
- Within one (1) year of appointment, must reside within range of the regional 800MHz radio system (City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County). Full-Time residency within the City of Charlottesville is preferred but not required;
- Within two (2) years of appointment, NFPA Fire Officer 1021 – Level III Certification;
- EMS Advanced Life Support (I-Intermediate or P-Paramedic) certification preferred;
- Executive Fire Officer Graduate preferred.
How to Apply: Application must be filled out online at the City of Charlottesvilleâ€™s website.Â Please include in your application a cover letter, resume, salary history, and five (5) work-related references with your online application.