Deputy Fire Chief
Deadline: October 30, 2015
Salary: $115,161 – $132,171
- Seven (7) years of firefighting experience in an urban municipal fire department that services a population of at least 100,000.
- Preference may be given to candidates who possess a Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Fire Protection Technology or closely related field
- PLUS one (1) year of experience as a Battalion Chief or three (3) years of experience as a Fire Captain.
- CITY RESIDENCY IS REQUIRED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR OF APPOINTMENT
This is an administrative position involving responsibility for assisting the Fire Chief in coordinating and directing the activities of the Fire Department. This position also has on call duties to ensure adequate coverage during absences of the Fire Chief, the executive Deputy Chief and other Deputy Chiefs and has overall responsibility of all subordinate staff. The work is performed within broad limits of departmental rules and in accordance with principles, policies and objectives outlined by the Fire Chief. Performs related work as required.
Typical Work Activities:
- Responds to and commands emergency incidents;
- Leads, guides, and directs officers, firefighters and non-uniform staff of the various units and divisions of the Rochester Fire Department;
- Evaluates the work of all staff to determine the effectiveness of their efforts and makes appropriate corrections to improve safety and efficiency, as necessary;
- Enforces all rules and regulations of the Rochester Fire Department;
- Initiates disciplinary action in accordance with established procedures and union contracts;
- Develops and implements operational procedures for inspections, investigations and emergency response processes;
- Represents the Rochester Fire Department with, and in the absence of, the Fire Chief at meetings, hearings, and other public and private gatherings;
- May be required to speak to the media on behalf of the Fire Chief regarding issues related to the Fire Department.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.