Entry Level/Lateral Firefighter
Deadline: December 8, 2017
Salary: $18.71 – $26.19 Hourly
The department is looking for enthusiastic and energetic individuals to provide quality care to a varied population in a dynamic and demanding environment. GJFD operates a progressive Advanced Life Support (ALS) system leaving you as the patient care decision maker. In conjunction with local hospitals, GJFD was awarded the American Heart Association Gold Standard for identifying “STEMI’s” in the field.
Grand Junction Fire Department Firefighters work under the general supervision of a Fire Captain and respond to emergency and non-emergency calls. They work with their assigned station crew to provide basic life support care; perform all phases of fire suppression and fire prevention duties to protect life and property; provide emergency rescue including Hazardous Materials, Technical Rope, Swift Water, Confined Space, Trench, and Hazardous Device (bomb); operate, maintain, and inspect emergency response equipment and vehicles; and perform station maintenance.
- Lateral candidates must have successfully completed a fire academy and have a minimum of 3 years of experience at a paid career fire department at the time of application
- Colorado EMT Certification OR National Registry EMT Certification by March 1, 2018
- CPR certificate by March 1, 2018
- Valid Colorado Driver’s License or ability to obtain
- Must be able to distinguish red and green
- Minimum vision 20/30
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age
Primary functions require maintaining physical condition necessary for performing heavy, moderate or light lifting; bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling; walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; operating emergency medical equipment.
This list of critical admissions, which may be cause for disqualification from employment with the Grand Junction Fire Department, is provided to Fire Department applicants, Computerized Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) Technicians and others involved in the Fire Department recruiting process. The listed admissions are not the exclusive basis for disqualification. The City reserves the right to disqualify any applicant who may or may not have any one or all of the following admissions.
- Any conviction of: a felony, perjury, “hate crime”, crime of violence as an adult, theft, DUI/DWAI, and/or a hit and run accident
- Being under or having been under driving restraint, cancelation, suspension or revocation of driving privileges in Colorado or any other state
- Illegal drug use and/or current alcohol abuse
Please note: The listed admissions are not the exclusive basis for disqualification. The City reserves the right to disqualify any applicant who may or may not have any one or all of the foregoing admissions. If you have specific questions or circumstances, you may contact the Human Resources office at 970-244-1512
- Physical Ability Test
- Oral Board
- Suitability/Psychological Evaluation
- Computerized Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA)
- Finger Prints/Background Investigation
- Pre-employment drug, medical and psychological evaluation screening
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.