Deadline: October 30, 2015
Salary: $14.42 per hour
Graduation from High School or equivalent
- Must be at least 18 years of age, and not to exceed age 35, on the date of written exam.
- Meet the requirements of Local Government Code, Title 5 Chapter 143.
- Meet the requirements for certification by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection Standards and Education.
- Meet the requirements of the Texas Department of State Health Services for certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (Basic).
- Meet the requirements set forth in NFPA 1582, Latest Edition, Standard on Medical Requirements for Firefighters.
- Application for employment and all steps in the hiring process.
At the time of written exam you must have completed:
15 semester hours at an accredited college or university with a minimum of 2.0 or higher grade point average (GPA is calculated from all transcripts)
Please Note: Two(2) years of active military service with an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions will substitute for the fifteen (15) hour college requirement.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid Class C Driver’s License at time of hire.
- Must be able to quickly respond to fire apparatus and be capable of entry and/or exit of any AFD vehicle without assistance.
- Must be able to climb multiple flights of stairs while carrying firefighting equipment.
- Must be able to climb aerial ladders to a height of 100 feet.
- Must be able to carry and/or drag hose for the purpose of fire extinguishment.
- Must be able to carry, set, and climb ladders to accomplish firefighting and rescue evolutions.
- Must be able to crawl and kneel, wearing personal protective equipment and SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus), in extreme weather conditions, high environmental temperature and humidity, and confined, dark, or visually obscured environments.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity for 20 continuous minutes.
- Must be able to perform CPR, lifting and moving of equipment and patients in a variety of environmental conditions.
- Must be comfortable in the water using a personal flotation device.
Notes to Applicants
You will be asked a series of qualifying questions on this application. Your response to these questions may disqualify you from continuing in the application process. Please read each question carefully and answer honestly.
- For detailed information on the job description, minimum qualifications and instructions for completing the application for this position, visit the Fire Employment website. The website is available at the following link:
Instructions regarding the written exam are also found at this website
- You must receive an email that qualifies you to take the written exam
- The Confirmation Number you receive in your email that qualifies you for the written exam is your Applicant ID number. DO NOT LOSE THIS NUMBER. It will be used for identification purposes throughout the hiring process. You must present a printout of this email that shows your confirmation number along with your ID at the time of the written exam to be allowed to sit for the exam.
- If approved to take the written exam, you are also required to provide a valid government issued photo ID at the time of the exam. If you do not present a valid government issued photo ID, you will not be allowed to sit for the exam. There will be no other dates for the written exam.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.