Deadline: January 5, 2018
Salary: $84,760.00 – $127,129.60 Annually
This department head position provides strategic leadership and vision for The Fire Department to support the organization’s mission, and key strategies. The position is also responsible for the overall management and operation of the City’s Fire Department. The work involves supervising subordinate staff who oversee the day to day operations and related work of prevention & public education, training, fire suppression and administration. The work also involves establishing departmental plans, goals and budgets and monitoring the overall effectiveness and costs of the Fire Department. The incumbent works under the general direction of the Mayor and appropriate commissions/committees.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises and directs all Fire Department operations and administrative functions.
- Participates in and supports the ongoing strategic planning process for the City as an integral member of the City Leadership Team. Lead the development and implementation of the Fire Department strategic plan and ensures alignment with the City’s plan. Oversees long and short term department goals.
- Organizes, leads and facilitates the functioning of the Fire Department, with a focus on continuous improvement, excellent customer service and public safety.
- Oversees budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with the City’s strategic plan.
- Makes final hiring and promotional decisions from Police and Fire Commission approved candidate list.
- Leads, develops and mentors staff.
- Manages and monitors staff performance goals and departmental performance goals.
- Advises and directs subordinates in the performance of their duties.
- Consults with and advises the Mayor and Aldermen on issues related to the Department.
- Participates in labor negotiations, administers labor agreements, addresses grievances and maintains dialog with the union leadership.
- Approves purchasing requests and contracts.
- Reviews and approves development and revision of policies, procedures and work rules to ensure regulatory compliance and the effective utilization of physical and financial resources.
- Approves variance to code authorization.
- Plans, approves and implements new programs and service levels.
- Determines staffing, service levels and budgetary needs for future considerations.
- Participates in state and local fire service organizations.
- Serves as a department liaison with other City departments, at various meetings, with the media, and local, state, and federal officials and the public.
- Actively participates as a member of the Director Team.
- Participate in Public Safety Committee and City Council meetings.
- Promotes Department image and educates public through presentations and speeches.
- Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends and participates in staff and City meetings as required.
- Participates in department wide training activities.
Bachelors degree in fire administration, public administration or related field; eight to nine years fire operations experience with at least five years supervisory experience, Fire Fighter and Fire Instructor I certifications, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Ability to hold staff accountable to accomplish goals and objectives in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Extensive knowledge of modern firefighting methods, equipment and applicable firefighting practices.
- Extensive knowledge of the methods and practices of Fire administration.
- Extensive knowledge of policies, rules and regulations, SOP’s of the Fire Department and the City.
- Knowledge of the City water system as related to fire prevention and hydraulics, and of the chemistry of fires.
- Ability to delegate authority to appropriate staff subordinates monitoring adherence to established fire policies and departmental procedures.
- Ability to analyze the effectiveness of the department, and to correlate its development with changing conditions in the City.
- Ability to plan, assign and direct the work of a number of subordinate operating units.
- Ability to effectively direct the operations of personnel and equipment under emergency conditions.
- Ability to evaluate staff subordinates in a fair and equitable manner; recommending commendations and administering discipline as necessary.
- Ability to analyze fire problems and formulate policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Ability to offer budgetary documentation to the City’s governmental authorities within the guidelines of the City structure; ability to support and defend the recommended operating budget of the department.
- Ability to perform all functions required for classification of Deputy Chief.
- Skill in dealing with the public and departmental personnel firmly and courteously, and to establish effective working relationships with the public, news media, City officials, outside agencies and others.
- Skill in the preparation and interpretation of complex oral and written communication; skill in all aspects of public speaking.
- Possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license.
To learn more about these competencies click here
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.