Deadline: March 4, 2016
Directs, through subordinates, all departmental operations and activities and enforcement of Fire Codes to ensure protection of the citizens and property of Dallas from destruction by fire or conflagration, and to ensure proper and efficient operation of the department.Â
- Supervises, regulates and manages the department, and controls all departmental activities including fire suppression, fire prevention, and emergency medical services.
- Designates the order of succession of the Assistant Chiefs to specify who will perform the duties of the Chief in the event of disability, absence from city, or inability to perform duties for any other cause.
- Maintains acceptable fire and emergency medical service response times for the city to prevent destruction and ensure proper protection for property and citizens of Dallas.
- Coordinates emergency requirements with other City departments as needed.
- Maintains effective public relations with the media and citizen groups.
- Classifies City fire services regarding number of persons to be employed to conform with City ordinances.
- Exclusively controls the stationing and transferring of all fire personnel under City Manager rules and regulations or according to City ordinances.
- Establishes and enforces policies, rules, regulations and procedures, and takes appropriate disciplinary action when needed.
- Acts as the Director of Emergency Preparedness by ensuring efficient operations to guarantee effective handling of emergency situations.Â
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities Required to Perform Work
- Thorough knowledge of principles and practices of public administration.
- Thorough knowledge of fire tactical operations, emergency rescue, ambulance services, fire investigations, fire prevention and education, evaluation of fire equipment and fire codes.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of personnel administration.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with all levels of management, city officials, vendors, other government agencies, other employees and the general public.
Education and Experience
Interested candidates must possess a minimum of ten years senior or executive command level service with at least five years as Chief, Assistant/Deputy or ten plus years as Battalion Chief in communities of 100,000+.
A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in Fire Services, Fire Administration, Management, or a related field is required.Â A Master’s degree and advanced education and training such as the Executive Fire Officer’s (EFO) course provided by the National Fire Academy, the Harvard Senior Government Executive Institute or similar endeavors is highly preferred.
The ideal candidate should have experience working successfully in a collaborative labor relations/collective bargaining environment.Â A comprehensive understanding of technical aspects of emergency scene management (Incident Command Systems), fire prevention and education programs, hazardous materials response, special tactical response, Homeland Security and emergency preparedness management is highly desired.Â Superior strategic planning skills, fiscal and budget management must be demonstrated.
The ideal candidate should have articulated vision and be a superior facilitator, advisor, mentor and technical expert.Â This individual will need to display excellent leadership, managerial ability, and decision-making skills and instill these traits within the rank and file of the Fire Department. The ideal candidate must exhibit strong coordination and relationship-building skills in working with the entire organization and the community. The Fire Chief should be active and visible in the community, personally taking part in civic and community activities and events.Â
Effective communication along with strong collaboration, negotiation, and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative. This individual must be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
The City of Dallas is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out of area candidate.Â
How to Apply:â€¨Â Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:Â
2120 Market Street, Suite 100
Camp Hill, PA 17011