Deadline: February 29, 2016
Salary: $81,936.00 – $124,104.00 Annually
The City of Duluth, Minnesota, is seeking a skilled and highly motivated Fire Chief with exceptional interpersonal skills, demonstrated leadership, a strong record of accomplishments and a history of collaborating with internal and external organizations to provide the highest level of proactive services. The successful candidate will provide strong and clear leadership to our Fire Department and serve as the leader in Emergency Management to ensure the safety and health of over 86,000 residents. This is an exciting professional opportunity in an engaged community.
Duluth is a four-season city with 100,000 acres of green space alongside the shores of Lake Superior located just two hours north of the Twin Cities. Voted Outside magazine’s Best Town in 2014, Duluth offers adventures such as hiking, skiing, hunting, boating, biking, and much more. Duluth also boasts a vibrant arts culture, home to art museums, performance centers, community and college theater productions, and numerous festivals throughout the year; and competitive sports including nationally ranked collegiate teams.
The Duluth Fire Department provides emergency services to the City of Duluth and has a staff of approximately 142 full-time fire fighters, inspectors, and support staff. The Department is organized in three divisions; Administrative, Operations, and Life Safety. The divisions provide services from nine functional areas: Department Administration, Emergency Management and Preparedness, Fire Suppression and Rescue, Emergency Medical Services, Training, Fire Prevention, Arson and Fire Investigation, Housing and Rental Licensing and Inspection, and Nuisance Abatement. The Department is an all-career fire department that provides all-risk emergency services, including a very active Emergency Medical Services component; however, the City is served by an independent ambulance service.
Over the last century, Duluth Fire has expanded its services to meet the ever-changing needs of the community. The goals of our mission statement are to safeguard Duluth through progressive fire prevention principles and responding to emergencies. Our emphasis is on prevention first and demonstrates a progressive, forward-looking approach toward doing business and providing emergency service for the safety and protection of our citizens.
The ideal candidate will be a strong and innovative professional who demonstrates effective leadership skills in the areas of supervising personnel, managing, and coordinating communications. In order to achieve results, the candidate must be able to analyze and evaluate widely varied and complex situations and issues.
Education and experience requirements needed by date of appointment include a four-year Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, etc., or an approved related field, plus seven (7) years of demonstrated managerial, administrative, or supervisory experience in fire administration or related fields.
Other personal attributes and characteristics desired in the Fire Chief include:
- Ability to consistently communicate and implement the City’s and Department’s missions through open, transparent, honest and forthright communication.
- Ability to lead with consistency and clarity amid times of chaos, crisis or uncertainty.
- Ability to build effective and cohesive teams across all fire stations and shifts.
- Demonstrated experience leading large-scale crisis and emergency response management.
- Commitment to diversity within the Department’s workforce including racial, ethnic, gender, socioeconomic, educational and experiential considerations that reflect the community at large.
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary staff and commitment to inter-department leadership development.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all facets of the fire service, EMS, and housing and building inspections, including finance, training, capital asset planning and relationship-building.
- Ability to balance and integrate the needs and interests of the Department within the interests and priorities of the City.
- Exceptional and demonstrated communication skills with experience working with media.
- Proven track record of identifying and evaluating specific organizational needs.
- Collaboration with community partners which represent the fields of housing, economic development and other public safety entities.
- Demonstrated ability to form effective, positive relationships with organized labor and union leadership.
- Commitment to implementing best practice strategies in regards to community education, risk awareness and emergency response.
- Creative and flexible problem-solving capabilities, with the ability to elevate concerns early to the City Administration, as well as the ability to analyze and resolve complex and sensitive issues.
- Understanding the Fire Chief position is part of the senior management team of advisors to City Administration, which addresses City-wide and cross departmental issues and opportunities utilizing a holistic approach towards overall community health, safety and social and economic opportunities.
- Understanding of departmental budgets as expressions of department and City goals and initiatives and experience in managing, balancing, and prioritizing those departmental budgets.
All highly qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. This is a national search effort and all highly qualified individuals with experience as a leader in fire department operations, fire administration or fire service management are encouraged to submit qualifications for consideration. Final selection of top tier candidates will be based on the combination of relevant education, experience, training, special skills, etc. that best fit the needs of the City. Those applicants with qualifications best suited to the needs will be contacted for interviews.
The City of Duluth is an equal opportunity and veteran-friendly employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, age, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability, genetic information, veteran status or activity in a local Human Rights Commission or any other characteristic protected by law.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.