Deadline: February 9, 2018
Salary: $106,501 – $133,126 Annually
The City of Grand Forks, ND is seeking an exceptional leader to serve as the next Fire Chief. The Fire Department has five fire stations and employs a total of 78 staff of which 75 are suppression employees. With a 2017 appropriated budget of 7.8 million dollars, the Fire Department is dedicated to protecting the life and property of the people who live, work in, and visit the City of Grand Forks.
The Fire Department was established on May 6, 1879, making it one of the oldest continuously operating City Departments. In 1994, the Fire Department began simultaneous response with the ambulance for medical emergencies within Grand Forks city limits.
From receiving its first apparatus in 1880, the Fire Department has grown from one station to opening its 5th station in 2016. The Fire Department continues to stay abreast of current technology and has a 27 acre state of the art training facility with a fire flash trainer, flammable liquid and gas trainer, ventilation simulator, tower with customizable training options, and much more. Recently awarded a Class 1 ISO rating, the Fire Department strives to provide the highest level of emergency and non- emergency services to the community in an effort to protect life, the environment, and property.
THE CITY OF GRAND FORKS
Whether you call it a big town or a small city, with a population of 57,000 people, the Grand Forks community is filled with an amazing amount of quality of life and amenities. Grand Forks is a regional leader in business services, healthcare, retail, manufacturing, and agriculture.
The Grand Forks area is home to a great mix of sporting events, vibrant arts scene, miles of biking, hiking, and inline skating trails with the Greenway system, and a revitalized downtown.
The University of North Dakota sits within the City of Grand Forks and has nearly 15,000 students and over 200 fields of study. UND, a NCAA Division I Institution is also a flagship for research and innovation with both accredited graduate schools of law and medicine. During the year numerous entertainment, cultural and sporting events can be found taking place at the Alerus Center, Ralph Engelstad Arena, Chester Fritz Auditorium, and the Empire Arts Center.
The City of Grand Forks covers 20.36 miles and serves a metropolitan area of 150,000 people. The Grand Forks Air Force Base is located 15 miles west of Grand Forks and has recently obtained the Global Hawk Mission.
Grand Forks is full of opportunities and a great place to live, learn, work, play and stay!
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The successful candidate must have in-depth knowledge of fire policy, rules and procedure development, case law, and recognized best practices. Applicant will uphold high professional standards, have demonstrated proficiency in fiscal management and have the proven leadership and management skills to build a strong leadership team and a highly trained, empowered, and diverse workforce.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced fire and emergency medical services leader. He/she will exhibit a high level of professionalism and leadership competence. The ideal candidate will be and/or possess:
- Ability to successfully work with a sophisticated community including engaged residents, elected officials, and City employees.
- Display fiscal acumen and advanced understanding of the business aspects of running a department. Experience dealing with budgets.
- Innovative with experience using technology to improve fire and emergency medical services.
- Highly community oriented and supportive of the department’s extensive involvement and presence in the community.
- Provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Mayor and City Administrator.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree with major course work in Fire Protection Engineering, Public Administration or related field
- Total of fifteen (15) years experience, including five (5) years supervisory experience or eight (8) years as Training Officer or Fire Marshal in the Grand Forks Fire Department; or a total of fifteen (15) years of experience in a full-time, career fire department with a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience at the level of Captain or higher.
- Possession of a valid ND Driver’s License or equivalent if a resident of another state.
- Master’s Degree is desirable
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.