Deadline: March 6, 2019
Salary: $1,937.60 – $3,168.80 Biweekly
Performs fire inspections of commercial buildings with responsibility for enforcement of fire safety codes, laws, and ordinances. Initiative and judgment must be exercised to recognize fire hazards and acquire code compliance. Field work exposes employee to varying weather conditions, chemicals, noxious fumes, insects, heights and confined areas. Work is performed under general supervision, according to established guidelines, and is reviewed through daily conferences.
Illustrative Examples of Essential Duties:
- Inspects buildings and areas of public assembly to check fire hazards, efficiency of fire protection equipment, adequacy of fire exits, and for general compliance with fire prevention codes.
- Reviews plans for public assemblies to provide input concerning occupant load of existing assemblies.
- Inspects new construction for compliance with approved plans during occasions of high workload demand in new construction.
- Issues notices of violations for existing fire code deficiencies.
- Consults with and advises occupants regarding appropriate corrective action.
- Interprets and/or explains fire safety codes and other related ordinances.
- Enters inspection results into a computerized database to complete reports.
- Maintains record of daily activities and compiles information for monthly activity reports.
- Conducts research of property records in preparation of code violation cases.
- Present fire code violation cases to Special Master.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or equivalent with one year experience in fire inspection or related field.
- Must possess and maintain a State of Florida Municipal Fire Safety Inspector’s Certification and a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone, electronic mail and personal contact.
- Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to, personal computer, calculator, copier and fax machine.
- Some standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling and reaching.
- Must have the ability to maneuver over construction sites and within buildings.
- Must be able to drive an automobile.
For all positions:
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, coworkers, the press the general public and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, political affiliation, gender identity or sexual orientation.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of all city ethics and conflicts of interest policies. Strong understanding of ethical behavior is required.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- Performs related work as required
- Reports to work as directed during an emergency as an essential employee of the City of Miami Beach
For all technical,professional, supervisory and managerial positions:
- Ability to develop innovative and creative solutions to issues consistent with the City’s strategic plan.
Applicants must detail any related work experience on the application or risk disqualification. It is the applicant’s responsibility to update their NEOGOV profile with work experience, education, certifications and personal contact information when submitting each application, failure to do so will result in ineligibility. City of Miami Beach employees must reflect their current position and detail their work experience on the application to avoid being disqualified.
Veterans Preference: Veterans Preference is awarded in accordance with Florida State Statute 295.07. If veteran’s preference is being claimed, it must be indicated on the application form and proper documentation, including all forms DD-214 (either Member 2 or Member 4), as well as the final Department of Defense Disability Letter (dated within one year) must be submitted with the application.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.