Fire – Medic Lateral and Entry Level
Deadline: November 4, 2019
Salary: $24.12 – $30.44 Hourly
The City of Salem is accepting applications for the position of Lateral Firefighter/Paramedic. This recruitment will be used to fill current vacancies as well as establish an eligibility list.
The Salem Fire Department is seeking self-motivated, professional Firefighter/Paramedics to become a part of our organization. Fire experience is not required, new Paramedics as well as experienced Firefighter/Paramedics are encouraged to apply. Posted pay rate includes 9% EMT-P additional premium pay per hour.
Following application review, qualified applicants with complete applications will be invited to the paramedic skills assessment and interview process.
During the ten (10) week combined entry and lateral academy, all recruits regardless of entry or lateral status will be paid at the step one (1) salary. Candidates with a minimum (two) 2 years’ prior experience as paid Firefighter-Paramedic may be placed at a higher step in the salary range based on their training, certifications and academy job-related performance.
What are the minimum qualifications?
- High School Diploma or GED
- Currently employed as a full-time Firefighter/Medic with at least two(2) years of paid experience as a Firefighter/Medic,
- Valid Oregon class C driver’s license or other state equivalent,
- Current certification as an Oregon Paramedic, or National Registry certification as a Paramedic and the ability to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity, or possession of EMT-P from another state and be able to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity. Minimum licensure requirements for Oregon Paramedic can be found at Oregon Revised Statutes and Oregon Administrative Rules.
- For non-Oregon Certified Paramedics – the Oregon State Health Authority determines equivalencies; you can contact them at 971-673-1222 or visit their website at Oregon Reciprocity. Applicants are responsible to obtain forms or information from this agency. Please start this process as early as possible.
- Valid CPAT Card (must no be older than 6 months)
- NFPA Firefighter I and II or equivalent.
- NFPA Operations Level Responder (HazMat Ops)
- NWCG Wildland Firefighter Type 2 (FFT2) or equivalent (Preferred but not required)
- Qualified applicants who are bi-lingual in Spanish, Russian, eligible Asian languages or American Sign Language are encouraged to apply. There is 5% additional bi-lingual pay benefit.
Where can I find out more about the position?
Go to the menu option for Class Specifications and search for the Firefighter/Paramedic where the class specification is posted in its entirety.
For more information on benefits, specialty pays, paid time off etc., go to the link below for access the IAAF Contract: IAFF Contract 2016-2019 (Download PDF reader)
How can I apply?
Click on the “Apply” button at the top of this announcement and complete your application and supplemental questions. Make sure you attach the following documents to your application:
EEO/Women, veterans and minorities are encouraged to applySelection Plan
Salem Fire Assessment Center and Chief’s interviews will take place the week of December 2, 2019.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.