Deadline: October 21, 2016
The City of Aurora, IL is accepting applications for the position of Fire Private to establish a Civil Service eligibility list.
Applicants must complete the following before moving forward in the selection process:
1. View the PowerPoint using the link below.
2. Pass the video-based, job simulation multiple-choice exam by October 21, 2016 Visit: www.nationaltestingnetwork.com to register and select testing location.
$21.76/hour, after 6 months $29.55/hour, after 1 year $30.66/hour, plus a full benefit package.
Located 35 miles west of Chicago, Aurora is the second largest city in Illinois with a population of 200,456. Situated along the Fox River and the Ronald Reagan Memorial Tollway (Interstate 88), the city extends 46 square miles encompassing Kane, DuPage, Kendall and Will counties. Aurora also is home to six public school districts and seven townships.
To learn more about the City of Aurora, IL, visit;Â https://www.aurora-il.org/about/aboutourcity.php
- ï‚· Â Must be at least 20 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of exam but must be at least 21 years of age and under 35 years of age at the time of appointment, pursuant to the Illinois Municipal Code as amended
(65 ILCS 5/10-1-1 et seq.).
- ï‚· Â Must possess a valid Emergency Medical Technician/Paramedic certification by beginning of the hiring phase, pursuant to the Illinois Municipal Code as amended (65 ILCS 5/10-1-1 et seq.).
- ï‚· Â Must be an U.S. citizen at the time of exam.
- ï‚· Â Must possess a valid Class â€œDâ€ Illinois driverâ€™s license or a valid out-of-state driverâ€™s license of similar classification by the time of exam. Must possess a valid Class â€œDâ€ Illinois driverâ€™s license by the time of appointment and obtain a Class â€œBâ€ non-CDL license within 6 months of appointment.
- ï‚· Â Must possess a valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification by the time of the *application phase. CPAT certifications will be considered valid within one (1) year of the issuance date.
- ï‚· Â Must possess a valid ladder climb certification by the time of the *application phase, pursuant to the State of Illinois enacted Public Act 097-0251. Ladder climb certifications will be considered valid within five (5) years of the issuance date.
- ï‚· Â Must possess a high school diploma with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0), or a G.E.D. with a minimum composite score of no less than 2480 points, or at least sixteen (16) hours of college credit with a grade point average of 2.5 out of 4.0 (or an equivalent on a scale with a maximum grade point average other than 4.0) regardless of high school grade point average or G.E.D. composite score.
- ï‚· Â Must be correctable to 20/20 with both eyes open with correctable lenses including field of vision/depth perception/color vision within normal ranges.
- ï‚· Â Must possess personal integrity and have an excellent moral character.
- ï‚· Â A subsequent polygraph and psychological examination will be required, in addition to a thorough *background investigation, drug screen and pre-employment physical.
*The Fire Private background investigation process can take up to six weeks. You will have to travel to Illinois for the 90 minute, prescheduled interview at your own expense.
** The application phase is the time period in which the application, Request for Preference Points Form and other qualifying documentation is required.
*** The hiring phase begins once the applicant is contacted to take the polygraph examination.
October 3 â€“ October 21, 2016 12 a.m. CSTâ€“ Exam must be completed by midnight CST on the closing date October 21st. Those who meet the minimum cutoff score on the video-based, job simulation exam will be notified to fill out an application and request preference points during the specified time frame.
November 7 â€“ November 23, 2016 by 5 p.m. CST â€“ Complete the application, Request for Preference Points Form and return all required documentation (**see below). Qualifications will be verified. Human Resources must receive your documentation by November 23, 2016, 5 p.m. CST (NOT POSTMARKED).
Mail or bring in-person to:
City of Aurora, Human Resources Department,
Attention: Fire Private Testing,
44 E. Downer Pl.
Aurora, IL 60507.
**You must provide a copy of your birth certificate, a copy of your valid driverâ€™s license, a copy of your valid Candidate Physical Abilities Test certification (CPAT), a copy of your valid ladder climb certification, an official high school transcript showing completed course hours and G.P.A or official G.E.D. along with proof of your G.E.D composite score or official college transcript showing completed course hours and G.P.A.
There is a non-refundable base fee of $50 for testing and an additional cost for each department where you indicate you want to apply. Payments are made electronically using a credit card. If you are interested in testing for this opportunity but, are unable to pay the fee, please complete the hardship waiver form and return it with the required documentation, as soon as possible.
The Fire Private background investigation process can take up to six weeks. You will have to travel to Illinois for the 90 minute, prescheduled interview at your own expense.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.