Deadline: August 23, 2018
Salary: $39,312.54 Annually
The Nashville Fire Department is seeking Fire Recruits. Candidates MUST apply online at www.nashville.gov to be considered. After completion of training, this position will respond to fire alarms, emergency, and non-emergency calls to protect the life and property of citizens of Davidson County and provide and assist with emergency medical care to injured and critically ill. Performs related duties as required.
- Complete online application. Be sure to make note of, and save, your online Username ID and Password, as you will need this information in order to check the status of your application and receive important information concerning the physical ability exam and process that you may be asked to undergo. ALL INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS RECRUITMENT WILL BE COMMUNICATED BETWEEN THE APPLICANT AND METRO’S DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES BY E-MAIL only.
- Applications will be assessed according to the minimum and preferred list below based on the information provided by the applicant.
- For qualified candidates, there will be a written and physical ability exam on the same day. Written and physical ability examinations will be scheduled and announced to eligible candidates by e-mail.
- Dates for the exams will be held: 9/17/2018 through 9/21/2018. Additional dates will be added if needed.
- Qualified candidates will be SCHEDULED by Human Resources 2 weeks before testing (this will allow time to schedule traveling for exam time). Scheduled times WILL NOT be changed due to volume of participants for both the written and physical ability exam.
- A picture ID (valid Driver License) will be required to be presented during the check-in process for the exam. Please DO NOT attach, send or bring any other documents to the testing site unless notified to do so.
- The only document you may attach to your application is a copy of your DD214 (Veterans Only).
SELECTION PROCESS (Written and Physical ability exams):
- Following the successful completion of the written and physical ability examination, an eligibility register will be established in accordance with the Civil Service Commission’s Rules.
- The Nashville Fire Department will notify candidates to be interviewed.
- The Nashville Fire Department will notify the selected candidates with a conditional offer of employment.
- Candidates receiving a conditional offer of employment must provide copies of the following documents: High School Diploma or equivalent, U.S. Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate, valid Driver License, and Social Security Card.
- A tentative offer of employment will be offered pending the successful completion of a background investigation, drug screening, and medical exam.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Must be 21 years of age at the time of hire (Candidates may file applications two (2) months prior to their twenty-first (21st) birthday; however, they may not be appointed until they are at least twenty-one (21) years of age). Valid Driver License required.
Candidates with accreditations earned in a foreign institute are encouraged to apply.
Per Metro Ordinance No. S094-Hl7ll. All employees of the Metropolitan Government shall be residents of the State of Tennessee or become residents of the state within six (6) months of employment as a prerequisite to employment with the Metropolitan Government.
***Must meet the Medical Evaluations of Candidates criteria in the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) guideline; NFPA 1582, Standard on Comprehensive Occupational Medical Program for Fire Departments (current Edition). Available at: http://www.nfpa.org
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- State of Tennessee Advanced Emergency Medical Technician License
- Prefer certification from State of TN Firefighting Commission as Firefighter 2
- Thorough knowledge of qualifications per current NFPA 1001 Standard Standards.
- Thorough knowledge of qualifications per National Registry Emergency Medical Technician Standards.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of emergency medical care and fire safety precautions.
- Knowledge of local streets and hospital locations.
- Knowledge of the proper use of medical equipment.
- Knowledge of the use of hand and power tools used in rescue operations.
- Knowledge of emergency communications codes and procedures.
- Knowledge of hydraulic principles involved in properly extinguishing a fire.
- Ability to operate all types of fire apparatus, including such equipment as an axe, pry bar, high pressure hose, ladders, safety equipment, breathing apparatus, two-way radio, chemicals, related firefighting equipment, and emergency medical equipment.
- Ability to make quick, accurate decisions concerning human life.
- Ability to work in stressful situations under adverse conditions.
- Ability to perform demanding physical tasks involved in firefighting and emergency medical work.
NOTE: A Firefighter may be assigned to any bureau within the Nashville Fire Department (Fire Suppression Bureau, Emergency Medical Service Bureau, etc.). Even if assigned to the Fire Suppression Bureau, the majority of calls will be dealing with emergency medical
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.