Deadline: October 13, 2017
Salary: $44,518.94 probationary/ $55,648.94 Annually
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;to learn a variety of firefighting duties and methods within a reasonable period of time; to climb ladders and work at considerable heights; to think and act quickly in emergency situations.
- Physical strength, stamina and agility sufficient to perform strenuous work, under adverse weather and hazardous conditions.
- Good general intelligence and emotional stability.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or the possession of a GED Certificate for high school awarded by a state or the United States government.
- Must possess Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic license from Illinois Department of Public Health or have the ability to obtain license from IDPH by date of hire.
- Establish and maintain residency in the City of Alton within 90 days of completion probationary period (1 year from date of hire plus time away at academy).
- Valid Illinois Driver License and able to secure an Illinois Driver License, Class “B”, within 90 days of completion of probationary period (1 year from date of hire plus time away at academy).
- Minimum age of not less than 21 years; maximum age of not yet 35 years.
- Inexcellent physical condition as proven by a physician selected by the
Civil Service Commission.
- Vision: Correctable to 20/20 with normal color and depth perception, proven by
- The written test is scheduled for Saturday October 28, at 9am at Lewis and
Clark Community College. Doors open at 8am.
- All candidates who pass the written test will be required to have CPAT
certification through the St Louis County Fire Academy. See Eligibility Process for details. Valid CPAT cards from other testing centers may be accepted.
Firefighter Eligibility Process 2017
- Must be 21 as of date of written examination (October 28, 2017) and less than 35 as of date of exam unless otherwise exempt by statute
- Must be a United States citizen or meet requirements for citizenship
- Must read, write and speak English
- Must be in excellent physical condition and have good vision
- Must be of good moral character, must not have been convicted of a felony or any crimes or guilty of
infamous or notoriously disgraceful conduct as described in Illinois Compiled Statutes65ILCS5/10-1-7
- Must be legally eligible to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Illinois and must possess a valid Illinois
Driver’s License at the time of hire.
- Must possess Emergency Medical Technician- Paramedic license from Illinois Department of Public Health
or have the ability to obtain license from IDPH by date of hire.
Upon successful completion of written examination (October 28, 2017), applicants with a score of 70 or above will be placed on a Preliminary eligibility list.
In order to be placed on the Initial eligibility list, applicants will be required to provide documentation of current Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) with Ladder Climb license. The CPAT examination consists of: stair climb, hose drag, equipment carry, ladder raise & extension, forcible entry, search, rescue, ceiling breach & pull. CPAT success is measured on a pass/fail basis. Individuals who pass the CPAT and Ladder climb test will be placed on the Initial Eligibility list.
Visit http://stlcofireacademy.com/PhysicalAgility.html or call Betty Stoecklin at 314-889-8670 to schedule your testing. Cost for testing and Ladder Climb license is $110. Financial Hardship Waiver (enclosed in packet) will be granted to individuals who qualify under WIC Income Eligibility Guidelines. CPAT certification must be submitted by January 9, 2018.
Once the Initial Eligibility List is posted, applicants will be allowed 10 days to request that additional points (to a maximum of 15) be added to their written score as follows:
Veteran’s: 5 points – Minimum of one year active service with honorable discharge
Education: 5 points – Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Science, Emergency Medical Services from an accredited college
Residency: 5 points – City of Alton Resident
At the end of the 10 day period (January 19, 2018), a Final Eligibility List, reflecting the addition of requested points, will be posted and remain in effect for a 2 year period.
The hiring process will include background investigation, interview with the Civil Service Commission, as well as psychological and physical examinations.
If you do not currently reside within the Alton City Limits, you will be required to do so within 90 days after completion of your probationary period (1 year plus time spent at fire academy).
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.