Deadline: December 4, 2019
Firefighter Hiring Process 2020
Applicants interested in an entry level position as a firefighter must take the Civil Service entrance exam and score 70% or better for further consideration. The exam is open to those who meet the minimum qualifications based on Texas Local Government Code Chapter 143, Arlington Civil Service Local Rules, and Texas Criminal Justice Information Systems.
The 2020 Hiring Process has begun. The deadline to register is 12/4/2019.
An applicant for Firefighter or Fire Prevention Inspector entry classifications shall meet the following
qualifications to be considered for an entry-level position:
1. Be a graduate of an accredited high school or have an equivalency certificate. Applicants shall be required
to furnish official transcripts or other competent evidence of completion of the aforementioned academic
2. Applicants shall be a citizen of the United States.
3. Applicants shall be able to read, write and fluently speak English.
4. Be of good moral character.
5. A person is not eligible to take an entrance examination for a beginning position in the Fire Department
unless the person is at least eighteen (18) years of age but not thirty-six (36) years of age or older as of date of
test. Applicant must obtain the age of nineteen (19) years before they are eligible for employment with the
Arlington Fire Department and must have not exceeded the maximum age limit prior to appointment or the
expiration of the eligibility list, whichever occurs first.
6. Makes application in the manner prescribed in the Notice of Examination, and files the application with the
Director within the time limits prescribed in the notice of examination.
7. Additional consideration may be given for candidates with existing certifications: Preferably possess
certification as a basic Firefighter, or become certifiable at time of appointment, as established by the Texas
Commission on Fire Protection (i.e., the AISD Fire Academy Program). At or before the time of entrance
examination, applicant shall provide either (1) evidence of certification issued by the Texas Commission on
Fire Protection, or (2) evidence of current enrollment in a basic recruit fire training academy approved by the
Texas Commission of Fire Protection.
8. Additional consideration may be given for candidates with existing certifications: Preferably possess
certification as a (1) Paramedic (more preferable) or (2) an Advanced EMT or EMT-I by the Texas
Department of State Health Services at time of appointment. At or before the time of the entrance
examination, applicant shall provide either (1) a Paramedic or Advanced EMT or EMT-I Certificate issued by
the Texas Department of State Health Services, or (2) evidence of current enrollment in a Paramedic (more
preferable) or Advanced EMT or EMT-I course approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
9. Additional consideration may be given for candidates with any other relevant existing certifications.
10. Possess a valid Texas Class B Exempt driver’s license that is not in jeopardy of suspension or revocation
or be able to obtain one within one (1) year of employment.
11. An Applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with a Fire Department unless the
applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future certification by the Commission
on Fire Protection Personnel Standards and Education.
12. An applicant may not be certified as eligible for a beginning position with Fire Prevention unless the
applicant meets all legal requirements necessary to become eligible for future licensing by the Texas
Commission on Law Enforcement.
2 | Page
13. To the extent the employment standards for beginning Firefighters or Fire Prevention Inspectors as
provided in these Rules exceed the requirements of Chapter 143 and other applicable state laws, any of such
entry-level employment requirements not prescribed by state laws may be waived by the Department Head
with the concurrence of the Director and consent of the Chief Executive when such waiver would be in the
best interest of the Fire Department and provided further that such waiver of requirements shall not
substantially lower the high standards sought by the City.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.
Find More Jobs HERE!!