Deadline: June 12, 2017
Salary: $48,310.44 – $54,349.25 Annually
General Statement of Duties: Bismarck firefighters perform challenging and rewarding work in preventing, combating, and extinguishing fires, responding to EMS incidents, training, and operating and maintaining equipment. The work involves duties of protecting life and property through the performance of firefighting and rescue activities under general training and certification procedures. Firefighters are required to train and participate in the operation of equipment and apparatus and perform hazardous tasks under emergency conditions. These conditions may require strenuous exertion under such handicaps as fire, heat, smoke, cramped areas, and hazardous surroundings. Although rescue and firefighting work are the most difficult and responsible areas of work, a significant portion of time is spent inspecting premises for the purposes of fire prevention and preplanning, delivering public fire education, training and drills, performing routine station and equipment maintenance, as well as performing other duties.
Find out more about City of Bismarck Benefits .
Publication Date/Time: 5/2/2017
Closing Date/Time: 6/12/2017 at Midnight
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Possess a valid driver’s license, and obtain a ND commercial license (Class B) within 3 years of employment;
- High school graduate or GED; and
- Obtain an EMT certification within 1 year of employment or a date agreed upon at hire.
Must also have one of the following:
- Pro-Board or IFSAC Firefighter 1 certification (NFPA 1001);
- North Dakota Firefighters Association Firefighter 1 Certification (2011 or later);
- North Dakota Firefighter Association Firefighter 2 certification (prior to 2011); or
- State or Accredited University approved Firefighter 1 (NFPA 1001) certification.
In addition to the minimum qualifications, must have at least one of the following qualifications:
- One year of progressive firefighting experience in a full-time fire suppression position; or
- AA, AAS, AS, BS degree with major coursework in Fire Science or Fire Technology;
- Three years of volunteer or part-time firefighting experience supported by the following documentation from the Fire Chief: **70% attendance at department meetings, training, and emergency calls; and **Training and experience in interior fire attack, engine operations, ground ladders, SCBA, and extrication techniques.
Maintain competencies in department-established NFPA 1001 Job Performance Requirements.
Possess certification as a National Registry Emergency Medical Technician (EMT-B) CPR Certification within 1 year of employment.
Possess a valid driver’s license and obtain a ND Commercial license (Class B) with tanker endorsement and without air brake restriction within 3 years of employment.
Must participate in a physical fitness program and meet established physical ability tests.
Other specialty training may be required based on additional assignments.
Failure to upload and attach the required documents by the job posting closing date will result in your application being considered incomplete.
See Firefighter Job Description and Firefighter Application Information links below for additional required credentials as listed under “Minimum Qualifications” and under “Special Requirements”.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States. No sponsorships considered. Subject to pre-employment drug testing and background checks.
Bismarck is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.