Deadline: March 1, 2016
Salary: $60,000 Per Year
Employment as a Firefighter
The objective of the Boston Fire Department Recruit team is to execute an innovative recruitment strategy that increases the candidate pool to ensure the highest quality candidates and prospective applicants that reflect the diverse population of the city that we serve.
Find Civilian Job Postings in our Career Centerâ€¨
Click on “City of Boston” and search for “BFD” in the City of Boston Career Center to find civilian job postings. We also post job opportunities and other news on our Facebook page. Boston Career Center Â»â€¨Facebook Â»
Apply to Become a Firefighter
- The written exam will be held on April 16th, 2016.
- The application deadline is March 1, 2016.
- There is an additional $50 late fee for applications received after March 1, 2016.
- Applications will NOT be accepted after March 21, 2016.
How to Become a City of Boston Firefighter
People are hired to become Boston firefighters from a list provided by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Every two years Massachusetts administers a statewide general aptitude entrance test for firefighters at various locations throughout the state. This test establishes a hiring list for cities and towns including the City of Boston.
City of Boston Qualifications
At The Time of The Test
- You must be at least nineteen (19) years of age at the time of the application deadline and be younger than thirty-two (32) at date of the exam.
- You must be a resident of the City of Boston at least one (1) year prior to the examination date to qualify for residency preference. Applicants who have resided in the City of Boston for an entire twelve month period immediately preceding the date of examination are entitled to be placed on the eligible list for Boston ahead of any non-residents.
- Pass a written test for Fire Fighter administrated by the State.
- Pass a Physical Abilities test administrated by the State.Pass a character background investigation.
- Meet medical fitness requirements.
- Have a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Pass a drug test.
- Pass a psychological exam.
- Be a non-smoker.
For Completion of Probation
- Complete all assignments of the academy.
- Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 certification.
- EMT certification.
Salary and Benefits
Boston firefighters begin with an annual salary of approximately $60,000. Other benefits include options for health insurance offered by BC/BS, Harvard Pilgrim and Tufts; 13 paid holidays, 15 sick days per year with sick leave buyback at retirement; Boston retirement System with the ability to retire as early as 55, paid vacation and opportunity to join the Boston Firefighter Credit Union.
Human Resources Division, Room 301
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.
Cityâ€™s Website Click HERE