Deadline: April 28, 2017
Salary: $41,392.00 Annually
Important Application Information:
- The City of Minneapolis only accepts applications online. We do not have a paper application.
- A valid email address is required to create an account. All communication with applicants will be via email, so be sure to check your email frequently (including spam/junk mailbox).
- Provide your legal name. Format your name in upper and lower case letters.
- All required documents listed on the job posting must be submitted with a completed application by the closing date. Incomplete applications may be rejected. If required information is not submitted by the application deadline, it will not be considered in the review of the applicant’s qualifications.
- A resume is not a substitute for completing the online application. If the online application does not include complete information, it will not be considered further.
- Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees have access to the information submitted.
- The City of Minneapolis does not retain applicant login or password information. Forgotten passwords can be reset by clicking “Reset Password” on the login page.
- Your application status will be updated throughout the hiring process, and is found within your account under “Applications and Status.”
For technical assistance with the online application, contact NEOGOV Customer Support at 1-855-524-5627 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. CDT, Monday-Friday.
The Minneapolis Fire Department (MFD) is looking to further diversify its workforce to better reflect the community they serve. MFD saves and protects life, property or the environment at emergencies and in addition, provides the residents of the City of Minneapolis emergency medical services, community outreach, hazardous materials response, confined space & collapse rescue and water/river rescue. Minneapolis Firefighters work a 24-hour shift, beginning at 8 a.m. and ending at 8 a.m. the following day. A Firefighter is on duty an average of 10 days a month, 107 days out of the 365 day year including weekends and holidays. Starting salary for an MFD Firefighter Cadet is $19.90/hour and after promotion to Firefighter, wages increase to $59,150 annually.
Firefighter Cadets attend college courses and other training in preparation for being considered for promotion to the position of Firefighter upon qualification.Click the following link to a news article providing an overview of the most recent graduating MFD Cadet class: Fire Cadet Graduation December 2016.
This exam is being offered to establish a list to fill vacancies as they may occur.
The City of Minneapolis is seeking a diverse applicant pool and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend regularly scheduled training activities and courses.
• Successfully complete prescribed training and coursework within specified time limits, including earning passing scores on all tests and exams.
• Perform diligently and faithfully the duties as assigned by the department in accordance with the provisions of the standards, bargaining contract, applicable department rules and regulations as well as state, local and federal law.
• Respect the property of the department and abide by the rules and regulations of the department regarding utilization of property and equipment.
• Develop safe work habits and conduct themselves in their work in such a manner as to assure their own safety as well as that of other Firefighters.
• Maintain excellent physical condition in accordance with the standards set for the position by the department.Course work will include:
• Firefighter training.
• Hazardous material training.
• Physical conditioning training.
• Emergency medical technician training.Upon successful completion of training, Fire Cadets will be eligible to be considered for promotion to the position of Firefighter.
Working Conditions: Indoor and outdoor classroom and training sites
Required Qualifications:Education: High School Diploma or GED
Age: at least 18 years of age
Required Licenses/Certifications: Valid Driver’s LicenseVision Requirements: Eyesight no worse than 20/100 correctable to 20/40 in both eyes.Hearing Requirements: Must have a standard hearing threshold, without correction of no worse than 40 decibel loss on the average at 500, 1000, and 3000 Hertz frequencies in either ear.
Training and Experience Evaluation: The selection process will begin with a rating of relevant education and experience, supplemental questions and information related to the position. It is important that your application show all the relevant information related to the position. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Information found to be false will result in an applicant’s disqualification from the exam.
Fitness Requirements: Must pass the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) fitness exam, which measures physical strength, endurance, and physical coordination through a series of job simulated tasks. In addition, applicants will be expected to reach and maintain fitness levels according to standards set by the MFD. For more information on the CPAT and testing components, please view the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FLkb3QVk2U. Completion time of all components must be below 10 min 20 sec.
Applicants will be given the opportunity to practice before the CPAT fitness exam. Qualifying and selected applicants will receive further information to sign up for orientation, individual practice sessions, and the final exam after his/her application is received.
Selection Process: The examination and selection process for this position will consist of a rating of training and experience and a physical agility exam (100%). Since the examination selection process consists of a rating of training and experience, it is to your advantage to be as honest, complete and thorough on your application form, supplemental information (if applicable) and other supporting documentation/materials as is possible. Minimum passing score is 70%. Human Resources reserve the right to limit the number of candidates included in any phase of testing.
Background Check: The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered further for the position.
Veteran’s Preference: For an eligible veteran to receive Veteran’s Preference points for this exam, the veteran must submit all supporting documentation (disabled or non-disabled veteran) with the online application as an attachment and submit the completed application with documentation no later than the application deadline. If the applicant is a veteran who qualifies for disability veteran’s preference, please note the veteran must also attach supporting documentation which designates the percentage of disability with the online application as an attachment. Points will not be awarded without supporting documentation. Veteran’s Preference Points will not be awarded if supporting documentation is submitted after the deadline.
Union Representation: This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Fire Fighters, Local #82 Union. For more information on the terms and conditions of this agreement please visit our website.
Eligible List: will expire 2 years after being established and will be used to fill vacancies as they may occur until the date of expiration.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:• Ability to read and write and follow verbal and written instructions.
• Advanced education above a high school diploma or GED in Fire Science or a related field (i.e. college level courses, certification, Associate’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree) is preferred.
• Demonstrated specific physical abilities related to the position, including but not limited to performing strenuous activities such as lifting, pushing, pulling, etc. requiring cardiovascular strength and endurance and good upper and lower body strength for long periods of time.
• Knowledge of City of Minneapolis geography and neighborhoods.
• Participation in City of Minneapolis or Minneapolis Fire Department Pathways Programs – i.e. EMS Pathways Academy, Explorers, High School Programs at either Roosevelt or North High, STEP-UP, Urban Scholars, etc.
• Current EMT Certification is preferred.
• Participation in any Fire Explorers program.
• Demonstrated ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultures, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
•Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills along with the ability to work effectively as a team member.
• Proficiency in any of the following prominent languages in Minneapolis other than English is highly desired:
- American Sign Language (ASL)
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.