Firefighter – Lateral
Deadline: September 28, 2016
Salary: Â $43,963 Annually
The Fire and Police Commission of the City of Centralia is compiling a current eligibility list for the position of Firefighter from which list future hires may be made.
Below is an outline of the various points that you should know about the position of Firefighter with the City of Centralia.
Please read the items over carefully so that there will be no misunderstanding of what you can expect, and what will be expected of you.
YOU CAN EXPECT
The starting salary is $43,963 with step increases.
The IAFF Local 618 will furnish Group Major Medical Health insurance to the employee which currently costs 100.00 per month; the employee if he chooses may obtain dependent coverage presently in the amount of $150.00 per month for employee +1 or
$174.00 per month for family coverage. Healthcare.
Vacation earned is as follows:
6 Shifts after first year.
8 Shifts after six years.
9 Shifts after eleven years. 11 Shifts after sixteen years. 12 Shifts after twenty years.
This insurance is presently thru United
The Firefighter will receive eleven paid holidays per year.
One day of sick leave will be earned for each full month of employment. Shifts:
Firefighters will work 24-hour shifts with 48 hours off between shifts. Opportunity to further your education.
Incentive pay program for advanced training and education.
Firefighters are required to reside within seven miles of Centralia after 1 year.
1. ALL TESTING, INCLUDING ORIENTATION, IS MANDATORY, APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO PROVIDE DRIVERâ€™S LICENSE FOR ADMITTANCE TO ANY PART OF THE PROCEDURE. APPLICANTS SHALL FURTHER BE REQUIRED TO SIGN IN AT ALL TESTING PROCEDURES. FAILURE TO ATTEND ANY PART OF THE PROCEDURE SHALL RESULT IN THE DISQUALIFICATION OF THE APPLICANT.
- MANDA TORY ORIENT A TION PRIOR TO WRITTEN EXAMINA TION.
- Written examination.
- Physical Agility Test.
- Agility examination will be given only to applicants who have taken the written examination.
- Oral examination â€“ given to applicants who have passed all previous tests.
- Thorough background investigation will be made on all applicants. Applicants shall be required to sign document-authorizing release of all background information to the Fire and Police Commission, including credit history.
- When returning your application, please bring the following:
- (1) Â Copy of birth certificate
- (2) Â Copy of service discharge (if applicable)
- (3) Â Copy of DD Form #214 (if applicable)
- (4) Â Copy of High School diploma, or G.E.D. certificate
- (5) Â Proof of previous Fire experience and Certificates (if applicable)
- (6) Â The signed waivers and release forms (important)
NOTE: None of the above will be returned, so please send copies.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age and shall be under 35 years of age except as otherwise provided by statute.
- All release forms will be signed by you.
- All applicants listed on eligibility list will be subject to medical examination and in-depth physiological examination
- Incomplete applications shall be rejected and disqualify candidate from testing.
ALL THE ABOVE BENEFITS DEPENDS ON CURRENT AGREEMENT NEGOTIA TIONS.
SECTION 1. RESIDENCE
Applicants for examination must be citizens of the United States. SECTION 2. APPLICATION BLANKS
Application for position shall be filed upon blank forms furnished by the Commission, and applicants must comply with the requirements of said form in every respect. The application must be filed with the Commission prior to taking an examination.
Every applicant must be of good moral character, of temperate habits, of sound health and must be physically able to perform the duties for the position applied for. The burden of establishing these facts rests upon the applicant.
The applicant shall furnish with his application a copy of his Military Service Record and Discharge papers.
A false statement knowingly made by a person in an application for examination, connivance in any false statement made in any certificate which may accompany such application or complicity in any fraud touching the same, shall be regarded as good cause for exclusion from the examination.
SECTION 3. DISQUALIFICATION
The commission may refuse to examine an applicant or, after examination, to certify him as eligible:
(a) Who is found lacking in any of the established preliminary requirements for the service for which he or she applies.
(b) Who is physically unable to perform the duties of the position to which he or she seeks appointment.
(c) Who is addicted to the use of intoxicating beverages or is found to have taken or used drugs and/or narcotics.
(d) Who has been convicted of a felony or any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, as specified in Section 10-2, 1-6 of the Board of Fire and Police Commissions Act.
(e) Who has been dismissed from any public service for good cause.
(f) Who has attempted to practice any deception or fraud in his or her application.
(g) Who may be found disqualified in personal qualifications or health.
(h) Whose character and employment references are unsatisfactory.
(i) Who does not possess a high school education or its equivalent for the position of firefighter; or does possess a high school education or its equivalent for the position of patrolman.
(j) Who has applied for a position of a police officer and is or has been classified by his or her Local Selective Service Draft Board as a conscientious objector.
Any applicant, or eligible, deemed disqualified hereunder, shall be notified by the Board.
SECTION 4. DEFECTIVE APPLICATIONS
Defective applications shall be returned to the applicant for correction, provided the applicant is qualified for the position he seeks.
SECTION 5. PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS
Applicants for original appointment shall be required to submit to a physical and medical examination by a licensed physician appointed by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners of the City of Centralia, Illinois.
SECTION 6. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Applicants for the position of Firefighter or Patrol Officer must meet valid standards of health and physical aptitude. Applicants must have at least 20/70 binocular vision without glasses (correctable to 20/20 with glasses/contacts) and shall not be colored blind.
SECTION 7 AGE REQUIREMENTS
Applicant who are 20 years of age and have successfully completed two (2) years of law enforcement studies at an accredited college or university shall be eligible to take the initial exam for Patrol Officer. Any such applicant who is appointed under this provision of the Act shall not have power of arrest or be permitted to carry a firearm until he reaches 21 years of age. Other applicants must be 21 years of age. All applicants shall be under 35 years of age except as otherwise provided by Statute. Proof of birth will be required at time of application.
SECTION 8. EDUCATION REQUIRMENTS
Applicants for the position of Firefighter must have a High School Diploma or GED.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.