Deadline: November 12, 2016
Salary: $58,223 Annually
Champaign Fire Department is currently seeking qualified applicants for Probationary Firefighter. The testing period will begin October 10, 2016 and must be completed by November 12, 2016.
Download the complete Testing Information PacketÂ here.
This department requires scanned document uploads of your Driver’s License and High School Diploma or GED certificate.Â After you create your account, and schedule and pay for testing, you will be able to upload your scanned documents on your account home page.
The Champaign Fire Department will cover $25 of the testing fee for all candidates testing for this department.Â To receive a testing voucher, email:
- email@example.comÂ prior to scheduling your test.
- Vouchers will be issued Monday – Friday.
- Vouchers will not be issued on the weekend.
- Â All voucher requests should be sent at least five (5) days prior to the closing date for testing.
Salary Information:Â $58,223
- Ten (10) paid holidays
- Personal leave credit of 24 hours each fiscal year
- Vacation accrual rates based on years of service with a maximum accumulation of 288 hours
- Sick leave accrued at 5.17 hours per pay period in addition to 72 hours of sick leave upon hire with a maximum accumulation of 1,344 hours
- Generous longevity pay based upon completed years of continuous employment with the City
- Health insurance paid at 100 percent for employee coverage; 50 percent paid health insurance for dependent coverage
- $10,000 term life insurance policy for each full-time employee and the option to purchase an additional life insurance policy through payroll deduction
- Participation in the Fire Pension Fund
- Option to join the Champaign Municipal Employees Credit Union
- Option to participate in the Cityâ€™s deferred compensation 457 Plan administered by the International City Managerâ€™s Association Retirement Corporation (ICMA-RC)
- Option to participate in the Cityâ€™s Flexible Spending Plan (medical, dependent care and adoption expenses)
- Option to participate in the Cityâ€™s dental insurance plan
- Option to participate in the Cityâ€™s vision insurance plan
- Uniforms and equipment are provided to all Firefighters. In addition, each non-probationary Firefighter shall be eligible to receive an annual uniform allowance to be used by the Firefighter to dry clean his/her uniform or to purchase additional clothing and equipment
Candidates should ask for the Captain on duty when calling the Fire Department for more information.
Department Information:Â The Champaign Fire Department is a full service career department comprised of more than 100 sworn firefighters covering a jurisdiction of 20 square miles from six stations. The Department serves 84,513 residents plus an additional 40,000 university students, responding to over 8,000 calls annually covering fire, rescue, hazardous materials, medical and large scale incidents. We are looking for people with a strong desire to serve others and who are committed to maintaining the level of excellence that the Champaign Fire Department has provided for more than 150 years. Making a difference, here to serve you!
City Information:Â The City of Champaign (pop. 84,513) is a vibrant, prosperous, and diverse community in east-central Illinois. It is the 10th largest city in the state of Illinois and the third largest outside of the Chicago region, conveniently located near Chicago, Indianapolis and St. Louis. At the intersection of education, innovation, and micro-urban living, Champaign offers the appealing combination of small town feel and charm with the cultural and recreational amenities of a major city. Champaign residents are proud of the cityâ€™s rich history, ethnic diversity, and strong sense of tradition.
Population:Â 84,513 residents and 40,000 university students
Age: Candidates may not be older than 35 by the date of the written examination unless otherwise exempt by state statute. Candidates must be 21 years old by date of hire.
US Citizen: U.S. citizen or legally authorized to work in the United States (must meet I-9 requirements)
High School Grad/GED: High school diploma or equivalent
Valid ILLINOIS State Driver’s License: Illinois Class â€œBâ€ driverâ€™s license
If hired, must be certified as a Firefighter II or Basic Firefighter by the State of Illinois by the end of probation.
Proof of completion of the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months prior to the written examination date. CPAT certification must also be valid at the time of conditional offer of employment. Must be provided by December 1, 2016.
Proof of passing the Ladder Climb test with any licensed agency issued no more than 12 months prior to the written examination date. Ladder Climb certification must also be valid at the time of conditional offer of employment. Must be provided by December 1, 2016.
If hired, must be certified as Licensed Illinois or National EMT Basic by the end of probation.
Oral Board Interviews: Candidates who pass the written examination will be invited to participate in an oral board interview. Oral board interviews will be held November 28 â€“ December 1, 2016 and candidates will be assigned an interview date/time after successfully passing the written examination.
Preference Points: Candidates will have the ability to claim preference points after oral board interviews by submitting a claim form and all required documents. A maximum of ten (10) preference points may be awarded from five (5) categories:
- Veteranâ€™s Preference Points â€“ candidates who engaged in the military services for the United States for a period of at least one year of active duty and who were honorably discharged therefrom, or who are now or have been a member on inactive or reserve duty in such military or naval service, shall be awarded five (5) preference points. Required documentation â€“ DD214 Form
- Education Preference Points â€“ candidates shall be awarded three (3) preference points for an Associateâ€™s Degree in any field or sixty (60) college credit hours from an accredited college or university or awarded five (5) preference points for any Bachelorâ€™s Degree or Associateâ€™s Degree in Fire Science from an accredited college or university. Required documentation â€“ college transcript
- Residency Preference Points â€“ candidates who reside in Champaign City limits shall be awarded five (5) preference points. Required documentation â€“ valid driverâ€™s license or government issued ID AND voterâ€™s registration card, current lease agreement, Champaign Public Library card, or real estate tax bill with homestead exemption
- Paramedic Preference Points â€“ candidates who have a current valid paramedicâ€™s license shall be awarded three (3) preference points. Required documentation â€“ paramedic license
- Explorer Post Preference Points â€“ candidates who have been an active charter member of the Champaign Explorer Post for two (2) consecutive years shall be awarded two (2) preference points. Required documentation â€“ none
Felony, Criminal Activity Disqualifiers:
No felony convictions and no misdemeanors related to fire/arson.
Recruitment Information Sessions:
The Champaign Fire Department will be hosting optional recruitment information sessions at Fire Station One, 307 S Randolph Street, Champaign IL on
- Saturday, October 15, 2016 from 10 am â€“ noon
People interested in learning more about the Champaign Fire Department, the position of firefighter, and the testing process are welcome to attend. There will be a presentation followed by a tour of the station and the opportunity to explore some of the equipment used by the firefighters. Fire personnel will also be available to answer questions.
Eligibility list will be in effect for two (2) years from February 27, 2017 to February 25, 2019. Placement on the eligibility list does not necessarily result in an appointment as a Firefighter. The posting of an eligibility list does not guarantee vacancies in the Fire Department during that two-year period.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.