Deadline: October 30, 2015
Nature of Work:
This is skilled fire fighting work in combating, extinguishing and preventing fires to protect life and property. Incumbents are required to learn and participate in the operation of apparatus and performance of hazardous tasks under emergency conditions which may require strenuous exertion under such conditions as fire, heat, smoke and cramped surrounds. Although fire fighting and emergency rescue work are the most responsible and difficult areas of activity, a major portion of time is spent performing drills and studying methods, techniques and organization, and in routine duties in the care and maintenance of fire department property and equipment. Work also involves routine custodial maintenance of fire department equipment, apparatus, buildings and quarters. Note: Those Firefighter applicants who are not Certified Firefighters and/or who do not have previous firefighting experience may be considered as a FIREFIGHTER RECRUIT.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: You must:
1) be eighteen (18) years or older as of date of application;
2) have a high school diploma; or, a state GED certificate; or a college diploma;
3)possess (and maintain) a valid Class “D” Drivers License; and, have an acceptable driving record.
PRE-REQUISITES: You must:
1) Complete a City of Columbia Firefighter’s Application Packet in its entirety (NO resume will be accepted without a completed City of Columbia Employment Application);
2) Submit all required documents;
3) Have a clean criminal record;
4) Be of good character and be temperate in habits; and,
5) Have a good employment history. If you have had over four (4) previous jobs, you must complete the Previous Employment Continuation page contained in the Firefighter’s Application Packet.
A complete background investigation for criminal convictions and driver license violation records will be conducted through local, state and national criminal record agencies. The City of Columbia Fire Department WILL NOT consider applicants for Firefighter positions who have: 1) a felony conviction in a criminal court (except minor traffic offenses); 2) a record of driving under intoxication (DUI) or driving under suspension (DUS); or, any driving suspension within the past seven (7) years. For detailed information of the process, the requirements and documents that must be submitted: REQUEST A FIREFIGHTER APPLICATION PACKET FROM & RETURN SAME TO: Human Resources Office – 1225 Lady Street (corner of Lady & Sumter) – Columbia, SC 29201-0147 . POSITION WILL CLOSE ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 30, 2015 AT 5:00 P.M.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.