Deadline: Not Given
Salary: $33,669.36 – 42,086.70 Annually
This position responds to calls within jurisdiction for fire suppression, hazardous materials responses and rescue operations; provides crowd and traffic control at emergency scenes; provides medical assistance at the First Responder level as necessary, and performs related work as required. This class works accordingly to some procedures but decides how or when to do things; work is reviewed regularly by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responds to emergency situations within the Columbia Fire Department’s jurisdiction to perform fire suppression, hazardous materials incident response and rescue duties;
- Provides crowd and traffic control at emergency scenes; assists with salvage, overhaul, cleanup and evacuation activities as necessary;
- Responds to a variety of emergency calls requiring medical treatment at the First Responder level, including administering CPR, removing victims from danger, administering First Aid, etc.;
- Documents all fire and other emergency incidents and responses;
- Participates in fire prevention and fire safety education activities;
- Cleans and maintains fire apparatus, equipment, stations and grounds; tests and maintains fire hoses; maintains emergency response equipment in a constant state of readiness;
- Performs special details as assigned;
- Receives and responds to public inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance regarding areas of responsibility;
- Attends training, seminars, and meetings to remain knowledgeable of modern fire suppression and prevention methods; maintains required certifications;
- Performs general clerical work as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and records, copying and filing documents, entering and retrieving computer data, attending meetings, answering the telephone, etc.;
- Remains available 24 hours per day, seven days per week, for emergency response; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- High school diploma or GED;
- No prior experience;
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Must successfully complete Columbia Fire Department Recruit School;
- Preference may be given to applicants with Firefighter I and Firefighter II certifications.