Deadline: April 7, 2017
Salary: $58,978.00 – $71,684.00 Annually
Additional compensation: 5% paramedic pay after obtaining Paramedic certification and successful completion of one year of service.
YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 5:00 P.M. ON APRIL 7, 2017 (YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL ONCE YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY SUBMITTED). ALL ITEMS LISTED BELOW MUST BE ATTACHED TO YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION OR SUBMITTED TO AND RECEIVED BY HUMAN RESOURCES NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. ON APRIL 14, 2017 (1 WEEK AFTER THE APPLICATION DEADLINE) OR IT WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE AND NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT PROOF OF SUBMISSION.
- Photocopy of driver’s license
- Certified state driving record for applicants with a driver’s license outside the state of Iowa
- High school transcripts, diploma, GED, or other proof of high school graduation (graduation date required)
- Fire Fighter Physical Conditioning Waiver
- Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security
- DD214 Form for military service, if applicable
**All of the above documents must be legible.**
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MAY BE HAND DELIVERED, MAILED, EMAILED OR FAXED TO HUMAN RESOURCES.
HAND DELIVER OR MAIL TO:
City of Des Moines
Human Resources Dept.
602 Robert D. Ray Dr.
Des Moines, IA
EMAIL TO: email@example.com
FAX TO: (515) 237-1680
Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
PRIOR TO GRADUATION FROM BASIC FIRE ACADEMY: Possession of Firefighter I and Firefighter II certifications, and a Class D driver’s license.
WITHIN 24 MONTHS OF APPOINTMENT: Emergency Medical Technician paramedic-level certification recognized by the State of Iowa.
CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT: Possession and maintenance of Emergency Medical Technician paramedic-level certification recognized by the State of Iowa, Firefighter I and Firefighter II certification, and a Class D driver’s license are conditions of continued employment. Failure to obtain and maintain required license and certifications might subject the employee to immediate termination.
All appointments will be conditional upon passing the background and reference checks and medical and physical fitness exams required by the State of Iowa. The medical exam includes a screening for drug use.
NOTICE TO FIRE FIGHTER APPLICANTS:
- City of Des Moines, Iowa residents will have five (5) residency points added to their final score. In order to receive 5 residency points, applicants must have established permanent City of Des Moines, Iowa residency on or before the application closing date (April 7, 2017). Residency will be verified by voter registration.
- Honorably discharged veterans will have five (5) points added to their final score. In order to receive 5 veteran’s preference points, submission of the Member 4 Copy of the DD-214 is required.
- Honorably discharged veterans who have service connected disabilities or receive compensation, disability benefits or pension under laws administered by the Veterans Administration, will have an additional five (5) points added to their final score. An eligible veteran who has been awarded the Purple Heart for disabilities incurred in action shall be considered to have a service-connected disability. In order to receive 5 additional points, proof of service connected disability, compensation, disability benefits, pension or Purple Heart is required.
- SCORING: 50% of Written Exam Score + 50% of Oral Exam Score = Final Score + Residency Points + Veteran’s Preference Points = Total Score used for ranking to create list of top 40 and ties.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
Fire fighters perform a full range of duties preventing and suppressing fires, providing emergency medical services, responding to hazardous materials incidents, performing other duties necessary to preserve life and property, and other related work as assigned.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.