Deadline: March 19, 2020
Salary: $65,083.20 – $79,892.80 Annually
Additional compensation: 5% paramedic pay after obtaining Paramedic certification and successful completion of one year of service.
For additional information and resources, visit the Fire Department Recruitment page at dsm.city/joinDMFD.
YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE BY 5:00 P.M. ON THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2020 (YOU WILL RECEIVE A CONFIRMATION EMAIL ONCE YOUR APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY SUBMITTED. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE EMAIL CONFIRMATION, CONTACT HUMAN RESOURCES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, BUT NO LATER THAN THE APPLICATION DEADLINE). ALL ITEMS LISTED BELOW MUST BE ATTACHED TO YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION OR SUBMITTED TO AND RECEIVED BY HUMAN RESOURCES NO LATER THAN 5:00 P.M. ON MARCH 26, 2020 (1 WEEK AFTER THE APPLICATION DEADLINE) OR IT WILL BE CONSIDERED INCOMPLETE AND NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT PROOF OF SUBMISSION.
- Photocopy of driver’s license
- Certified state driving record for applicants with a driver’s license outside the state of Iowa
- High school transcripts, diploma, GED, or other proof of high school graduation (graduation date required)
- Fire Fighter Physical Conditioning Waiver
- Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security
- DD214 Form for military service, if applicable
**All of the above documents must be legible.**
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MAY BE HAND DELIVERED, MAILED, EMAILED OR FAXED TO HUMAN RESOURCES.
HAND DELIVER OR MAIL TO:
City of Des Moines
Human Resources Dept.
Municipal Service Center
1551 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Pkwy.
Des Moines, IA 50317
EMAIL TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
FAX TO: (515) 237-1680
Acceptable Experience and Training
Required Special Qualifications
ON OR BEFORE APPLICATION DEADLINE (March 19, 2020): 21 years of age and possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
PRIOR TO GRADUATION FROM BASIC FIRE ACADEMY: Possession of Firefighter I and Firefighter II certifications, and an Iowa Class D driver’s license.
WITHIN 24 MONTHS OF APPOINTMENT: Emergency Medical Technician paramedic-level certification recognized by the State of Iowa.
CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT: Possession and maintenance of Emergency Medical Technician paramedic-level certification recognized by the State of Iowa, Firefighter I and Firefighter II certification, and an Iowa Class D driver’s license are conditions of continued employment. Failure to obtain and maintain required license and certifications might subject the employee to immediate termination.
Sworn members of the Fire Department may be allowed to establish residence at locations that permit a member to travel to the corporate limits of the City of Des Moines within 60 minutes.
All appointments will be conditional upon passing the background and reference checks and medical and physical fitness exams required by the State of Iowa. The medical exam includes a screening for drug use.
NOTICE TO FIRE FIGHTER APPLICANTS:
- City of Des Moines, Iowa residents will have five (5) residency points added to their final passing score. In order to receive 5 residency points, applicants must have established permanent City of Des Moines, Iowa residency. To verify City of Des Moines, Iowa residency, applicants must present two documents that show their current name, current Des Moines, Iowa residential address, and are dated between the first date of the job announcement (February 5, 2020) and the first date of the oral exams (date to be determined and shared with applicants when oral exams are scheduled). The address must be a physical address where the applicant resides and not a post office box. Printouts of services paid or transacted electronically are acceptable. Applicants must select two documents from the list below and provide to the City’s Human Resources Department by their scheduled oral exam.
- Valid Iowa vehicle registration certificate
- Valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (life, health, auto, homeowner’s or renter’s)
- Second valid insurance card or certificate of coverage (different than the first)
- Utility hookup or bill (water, gas, electric, or garbage removal)
- Second utility hookup or bill (different than the first)
- Telephone hookup, service agreement or bill (landline or mobile)
- Statement from a financial institution (bank, credit union, or other financial institution)
- Second statement from a financial institution (different than the first)
- Credit, debit, or charge card statement
- Iowa residential mortgage, lease or rental agreement (lease and rental agreements must include the landlord’s name and contact information)
- Valid real estate tax statement or receipt for Iowa residential property
- Pay stub from employer
- Current school enrollment papers for an educational institution
- A federal, State of Iowa or local government document (such as receipt, license, permit, assessment, or other document)
- Second federal, State of Iowa or local government document (different than the first)
- An envelope, box, postcard or magazine that includes a postmark or stamped date
- Iowa DL issued in the time period noted above
- Honorably discharged veterans will have five (5) points added to their final score. In order to receive 5 veteran’s preference points, submission of the Member 4 Copy of the DD-214 is required.
- Honorably discharged veterans who have service connected disabilities or receive compensation, disability benefits or pension under laws administered by the Veterans Administration, will have an additional five (5) points added to their final score. An eligible veteran who has been awarded the Purple Heart for disabilities incurred in action shall be considered to have a service-connected disability. In order to receive 5 additional points, proof of service connected disability, compensation, disability benefits, pension or Purple Heart is required.
- SCORING: 50% of Written Exam Score + 50% of Oral Exam Score = Final Score + City of Des Moines Residency Preference Points + Veteran’s Preference Points = Total Score used for ranking to create list of top 40 and ties.
Examples of Essential Work (Illustrative Only)
Fire fighters perform a full range of duties preventing and suppressing fires, providing emergency medical services, responding to hazardous materials incidents, performing other duties necessary to preserve life and property, and other related work as assigned.
Please use the link below to view and access the complete Fire Fighter job description.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.