Deadline: November 8, 2019
Salary: $56,640.00 Annually
This posting is for the Firefighter Entrance Exam. No current certification is required however those who possess a current Firefighter/EMT and / or Paramedic Certification may be given preference in the overall ranking.
Test Date / Time Test Site What to Bring to Test
Saturday – DeSoto West Middle School Driver’s License
November 16, 2019 800 N. Westmoreland Rd. DD214 forVeteran Points
9:00 am – 12:00 DeSoto, TX 75115 Firefighter / EMT and/or
Physical Agility follows at 12:30 Paramedic Certification for
Check in at 8:30 am Ranking preference
Physical Agility Test Site – Start time 12:30
DeSoto Fire Training academy
501 E. Wintergreen Rd
DeSoto, TX 75115Please read the information on the City of DeSoto Fire Department webpage for details on qualifications and disqualifiers.
Entry Salary for Non-Certified – $56,640 annually
Entry Salary for Certified Paramedic – $58,140 annually
Entry Salary for Certified Firefighter/EMT – $59,670
Entry Salary for dual-Certified Firefighter / Paramedic – $61,170 annually
The purpose of this position is to provide fire suppression, rescue and emergency services. This is accomplished by responding to calls for service; providing emergency medical care; responding to hazardous materials scenes; completing firefighting and rescue activities; assisting with fire investigations; providing public education; and conducting pre-fire planning and safety surveys. Other duties include maintaining equipment and fire stations; conducting tours; inspecting fire hydrants; and inspecting equipment.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Completes fire suppression activities by driving assigned apparatus to and from emergencies; laying and connecting hoses; maintaining pumping apparatus; ventilating structures; searching for hidden fires; operating hose lines; climbing ladders; searching for victims; and eliminating the possibility of rekindling.
- Provides emergency medical services by answering calls and responding to requests for service; extricating victims from accident scenes; lifting and transporting patients; checking vital signs; and providing life support and emergency medical treatment.
- Educates the public by providing instruction on fire prevention; overseeing fire drills; conducting fire station tours; facilitating first aid classes; conducting fire safety surveys; developing pre-fire plans; and answering general questions.
- Maintains the fire station by cleaning the facility; maintaining the grounds; completing preventive maintenance and repairs on the facility and apparatus; cleaning, inspecting and replacing hoses, inspecting equipment and apparatus; and maintaining protective equipment.
- Assists with fire investigations by reviewing information and preserving evidence.
- High School graduation or equivalent
- Skill in the operation and use of standard office software which includes databases and presentation programs, along with standard Microsoft products
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with co-workers, the public, and elected and appointed officials
- Ability to obtain Paramedic Certification within 18 months of employment and retain while employed
- Ability to obtain Basic Firefighter Certification / EMT within 18 months of employment and retain while employed
- Ability to successfully complete the written exam, rigorous physical agility, psychological and polygraph testing, and additional background screening and investigation
- Ability to alphabetize and numerically sequence materials
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.