Deadline: March 8, 2019
Salary: $46,007.52 Annually
Working under the supervision of the Company Officer, or higher ranking fire personnel, incumbent performs duties to prevent, combat and extinguish fires, protect lives and properties, maintain firefighting equipment, respond to other emergencies, keep equipment and personnel in a state of readiness for such emergencies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Able to read, write, listen and comprehend instructions, information or reports;
- Effectively communicate by voice or by radio with other firefighters and other emergency personnel
to relay observations, equipment needs and other relevant information;
- Follow orders and directives from supervisors;
- Drive and operate fire apparatus and equipment;
- Respond to alarms by reporting to assigned vehicle, and riding in assigned vehicle to the scene of
the emergency or fire;
- Lift, carry, drag, lay and connect hose lines from hydrants and equipment to scene; carry EMS
equipment, tools and other equipment from vehicle to scene;
- Raise and climb ladders; crawl and walk on roofs and floors; create holes and open windows with
axes, bars or hooks for access or ventilation;
- Combat fires by holding nozzles and directing streams of fog, chemicals or water and moving into
fire area including into confined spaces and up or down stairs;
- Move people from danger including carrying unconscious persons;
- Provide emergency medical treatment to injured persons;
- Remove objects from a building, place protective covers over objects and monitor assigned area for
signs of reoccurrence;
- Conduct fire drills, critique drill participants on emergency procedures and instruct groups on such
- Participate in training on firefighting, emergency medical aid, emergency procedures and related
- Maintain Department equipment and structures through cleaning walls, floors, fire hose, equipment,
- Must meet the requirements under NFPA 1500, OSHA 1910.134 and the Fort Wayne Fire
Department Respiratory Protection Plan for wearing the Fort Wayne Fire Department approved
- Maintain personal physical fitness consistent with Department standards;
- Maintain EMS certification within requirements established by the Department;
- Meet all essential job function requirements of National Fire Protection Association Standards 1001 and 1500;
- Meet all State of Indiana Public Employee Retirement Fund Requirements for 1977 Firefighters Pension and Disability.
- Understand and apply concepts identified within the Fort Wayne Fire Department mission statement.MARGINAL FUNCTIONS
Perform other duties as assigned.
Incumbent does not directly supervise any personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are in addition to the requirements necessary for a firefighter and are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be considered subject to the requirements of the job and the ability of the individual to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Provide proof of date and place of birth
- At least 21 years of age, but under 36 years of age
- No felony convictions
- Speak English as a primary or secondary language
- Reside in Allen County or a county contiguous with Allen County
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
The incumbent must possess the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists consistent with departmental rules and procedures. The incumbent makes choices and takes action on a range of assignments which requires analysis to determine the appropriate course of action. The candidate must be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form by command officers and act upon instructions provided in an efficient, safe manner.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Indiana Operators License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of a firefighter established by National Fire Protection Association 1500, and the State of Indiana Public Employee Retirement Fund Requirements for 1977 Firefighters Pension and Disability.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 200 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be deemed physically able to wear the approved respirator.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of a firefighter established by National Fire Protection Association 1500 and the State of Indiana Public Employee Retirement Fund Requirements for 1977 Firefighters Pension and Disability.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions as well as outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Due to the nature of the firefighting profession, the potential for severe injury or loss of life are continually present.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.