Deadline: March 12, 2018
Salary: $17.51 – $29.95 Hourly
The City of Henderson is seeking career-minded individuals with solid preparation and commitment to enter a long-term career in the fire service profession. Ideal candidates will possess strong compassion, integrity, and respect; relentlessly focus on safety and excellence in all things; hold themselves accountable to the most rigorous professional standards; provide customer service that exceeds the expectations of those who serve; and value teamwork and collaboration. The eligibility list created from this recruitment may be utilized to fill vacancies for this classification for up to one (1) year.
This recruitment will be limited to the first 1,800 applications received and will close without notice when that number is received (regardless of whether the closing date has been reached or not).
Under general supervision, incumbents in this position will perform work of moderate difficulty related to Fire/Rescue Operations, Emergency Medical Services, and Fire Prevention; and will perform related duties as assigned.
Click here to view a complete copy of the job description and physical requirements.
Must meet the following requirements to apply:
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent
- Must be 18 years of age at the time of the written examination for Fire Fighter
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver license
Must meet the following requirement by the time of the Chief’s Interview:
- A valid CPAT card/notice that confirms their passing of the CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017 (more information regarding the CPAT is located in the Assessment Information section of this posting)
- Must possess a current certification as an Emergency Medical Technician or above (a course completion certificate is not sufficient; candidates must have passed a certification examination from a local jurisdiction, state authority or National Registry)
Must meet at least ONE of the following requirements by time of final offer:
- Must possess or obtain a Southern Nevada Health District EMT certification (or above)
- Must possess a State of Nevada EMT certification (or above)
- Must possess or obtain a valid National Registry EMT certification (or above)
The following must be met to continue employment:
- Must possess and maintain a valid Nevada or “border state” driver license, as defined by NRS 483
- Must successfully complete cadet academy within time limits established by the department as a condition of continued employment, to include obtaining a State of Nevada Fire Fighter II Certificate and a Southern Nevada Health District EMS License
- Any member hired after July 1, 2014 must reside within Clark County, Nevada within one year of the date of hire
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS/ASSESSMENT INFORMATION
APPLICANTS FOR THIS POSITION ARE REQUIRED TO:
1) Completed Employment Application
2) Completed Supplemental Questionnaire
3) Attach a current EMT Certification (or above), if applicable
4) Attach a CPAT passing notice/card showing CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017, if applicable
- A City of Henderson online employment applications is required. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- Candidates must respond to the supplemental questions to help us determine your qualifications for this classification.
- Applications will be screened for completeness, required qualifications and applicable certifications.
- All correspondence will be sent via email. Therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- Please check any spam blocker you may have on your computer to enable your email account to receive our correspondence.
- Be prepared to upload and attach copies of certifications listed below to your online application, if applicable.
- Copy of EMT certification (or above), State of Nevada EMT certification (or above), AND/OR copy of National Registry EMT certification (or above), if applicable
- CPAT passing notice/card showing the CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017, if applicable
Written Examination – Friday, April 13, 2018 and Saturday, April 14, 2018, Thursday, April 12, 2018 if needed
Oral Review Board Interview – Week of April 30, 2018
(Top Scoring Candidates plus all licensed paramedics who receive a passing score)
Chief’s Interview – Week of May 21, 2018
(Top Scoring Candidates plus all licensed paramedics who receive a passing score)
Please note: If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, you will be required to self-schedule on a first come, first served basis. Please check your e-mail on a regular basis after submitting your application for complete instructions, including how to self-schedule and where/when to report.
Fire Fighter Written Exam: All candidates who meet minimum qualifications will receive an e-mail, no later than Monday, Monday, March 19, 2018, instructing them to register/schedule for the Firefighter Written Exam which will be held in the Vegas Valley on April 13 and 14, 2018, April 12, 2018 if needed. The cost of the Firefighter Written Exam will be $25 – $35.
Candidates invited to the written examination portion of the assessment process must present a valid picture ID, such as a driver license or state identification card, and the invitation to the Fire Fighter Written Exam with your applicant ID number.
The Firefighter Written Exam is a written test that is administered in a group setting. Candidates will be tested on: reading comprehension, tool identification, basic math, grammar, reasoning, and spelling.
Suggested study materials for the Firefighter written exam are:
• Firefighter Exam Preparation Book by Norman Hall. 2nd Edition. ISBN 13: 978-1-58062-932-4
• Firefighter Exam by Learning Express. 5th Edition. ISBN 13: 978-1-57685-923-0
• Firefighter Exams by McGraw-Hill Education. 2nd Edition. ISBN 978-0-07-183500-8
• Firefighter Candidate Exams by Barron’s. 7th Edition. ISBN 978-1-4380-0131-9
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT): All candidates invited to the Oral Review Board interview process are required to show a valid CPAT card/notice that confirms their passing of the CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017 when they check-in for the Chief’s Interview.
For your convenience, the College of Southern Nevada operates an indoor CPAT facility in Las Vegas. The cost of the CPAT is $150. Go to https://www.csn.edu/cpattesting for additional information about their CPAT facility and for scheduling.
The CPAT consists of eight (8) separate events performed in a continuous manner and is a pass/fail examination. The CPAT must be completed in 10 minutes 20 seconds (or less) with each event completed correctly. To view a description of the CPAT events, go to https://www.csn.edu/cpattesting.
Oral Review Board: Candidates invited to the Oral Review Board portion of the assessment process must present a valid picture ID such as a driver license or state identification card and evidence of current EMT certification (if applicable at that time, must have by Chief’s Interview) and valid CPAT card/notice that confirms their passing of the CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017 at check-in (if applicable at that time, must have by Chief’s Interview).
Chief’s Interview: Candidates invited to the Chief’s Interview portion of the assessment process must present a valid picture ID such as a driver license or state identification card. If not provided at the Oral Review Board Interview, candidates must present evidence of current EMT certification and valid CPAT card/notice that confirms their passing of the CPAT occurred on or after November 21, 2017 at check-in. Candidates who do not provide the required documents will not be interviewed.
IMPORTANT: Appointment is subject to the successful completion of a post-offer, pre-employment background investigation, psychological examination, medical/physical examination, and drug and alcohol test. Please see the job description to view the physical requirements of the job. As part of the background investigation, all claims of education and experience made in the employment application process, as well as other information submitted, will be verified. The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.