Deadline: August 7, 2018
Salary: $6,061.47 – $7,505.33 Monthly
NOTE: THIS RECRUITMENT IS OPEN ONLY TO CURRENT CITY OF HUNTINGTON BEACH AMBULANCE OPERATORS WHO HAVE COMPLETED A MINIMUM OF SIX MONTHS IN THE POSITION, OR FORMER CITY OF HUNTINGTON BEACH AMBULANCE OPERATORS WHO SEPARATED FROM THE CITY AFTER JUNE, 2017 AND WHO HAD COMPLETED A MINIMUM OF SIX MONTHS IN THE POSITION.
The City of Huntington Beach Fire Department is seeking career minded individuals with solid preparation and commitment to enter a long-term career in the fire service profession. Ideal candidates will possess excellent interpersonal and multi-cultural skills, have a strong commitment to community involvement, as well as a good understanding of basic teaching techniques. Foreign language proficiency is desirable.
Applicants for this position are required to submit an ON-LINE EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION to the City of Huntington Beach by the recruitment DEADLINE of 8/7/18, 5 pm.
Examples of Essential Duties
- Under the direction and supervision of a Fire Captain, responds as a team member on an assigned fire company for emergency rescue and non-emergency operations
- Performs standard firefighting procedures in laying hose, setting ladders, performing rescues, ventilation, salvage and cleanup work
- Participates in all phases of fire department activities including fire suppression, use and operation of special equipment, safety, hazardous materials abatement, physical fitness, medical aid response and fire prevention
- Participates and assists in planning of drills and other training activities to learn and improve emergency response tactics
- Participates in routine non-emergency activities such as fire prevention inspections, code enforcement, public education, hydrant maintenance, drills, training, and district familiarization
- Performs routine in-station activities such as station housekeeping, equipment cleaning and routine maintenance
- Performs apparatus inventory and maintenance; performs public education activities and carries out positive public relations
- Lives and works in a fire station with peers, coworkers and supervisors while exercising good judgment, self-restraint and tact in dealing with a variety of issues and situations
- Responds to major alarms off duty when called
- May be ordered to duty based on emergency needs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Note: The preceding duties have been provided as examples of the essential types of work performed within this job classification. City Council/Administration at its discretion, may add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.Typical Qualifications
(Please note time sensitive requirements below)
The following must be met by time of application
- High School diploma or G.E.D. equivalent
- At least 18 years of age
- Possession of a valid California or a valid National Registry EMT certification (Copy of certificate must be attached/uploaded to your on-line application)
- Possession of Certificate of successful completion of Physical Abilities Test (PAT). Only CPAT or Biddle PAT, issued on or after July 24, 2017, will be accepted. (Copy of certificate must be attached/uploaded to your on-line application)
Must meet at least one of the following requirements by time of application: (Copy of certification, proof of completion, or paystub must be attached/uploaded to your on-line application)
- Graduation from a California State accredited Firefighter I Academy (minimum of 348 hours), OR
- Certification as a Firefighter I from the California State Fire Marshal’s Office, OR
- One year of continuous experience as a full-time paid firefighter with a federal, state, county, local or tribal agency and have passed probation.
- Valid California Driver License
- United States Citizenship or legally authorized to work as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
- Must possess a California Class C Driver License with Firefighter Endorsement
Note: The HBFD has a policy that applies to the general appearance of staff, which includes limitations in tattooing on areas of the body that would cause the tattoo(s) to be readily visible while wearing a short-sleeved uniform.
The examination components will include an oral board appraisal. Those candidates meeting the requirements of this recruitment will be scheduled for an Oral Interview.
- Any incomplete application or application not meeting qualifications will be disqualified from further participation in the examination process.
- Proof of required certifications (only those specified) must be submitted at time of application. Failure to provide copies will result in disqualification.
- Candidates successfully passing all the components of the examination process will be placed on the eligible list from which appointments will be made.
- This list will be in effect for one year unless exhausted sooner.
- Application Filing Period
- July 24, 2018 – August 7, 2018.
- Oral Board Interview (100% weight):
- Date TBD.
- Invitations will be sent via e-mail.
- Physical Abilities Test: The City will not be conducting a physical abilities test. Candidates will be required to provide proof of certification through either the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) or the Biddle Physical Ability Test. Certification must have been issued anytime from July 24, 2017 through August 7, 2018.
- Employment Eligible List
- Placement on the eligible list results from the score on the oral board interview (100%). Candidates final scores will determine placement on the employment eligible list.
- Current Vacancies
- The City anticipates vacancies during the term of the list. The top candidates will be certified to the Fire Chief. These candidates can expect to hear from the Fire Department shortly after notification. The employment eligible list is valid for one year unless exhausted sooner. Additional names may be processed during the life of the list.
- Background Investigation
- Conducted after placement on the eligible list and upon a conditional offer of employment. A comprehensive background investigation will be conducted on all candidates considered for employment.
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- Upon conditional offer of employment, a pre-placement medical exam, including a drug screen, polygraph examination, psychological evaluation, and swim test must be completed with acceptable results.
- Pre-Placement Polygraph, Psychological Evaluation, Medical Exam, Drug Screen and Swim Test
- Conducted after passing background investigation and upon a conditional offer of employment. Recent drug usage, theft or other illegal activity may disqualify candidate.
- The swim assessment is conducted in a pool and will include a 50-yard swim (not timed), treading water for 5 minutes, and picking up an object from the bottom of a pool.
- Upon hire, employee is subject to further reporting from DOJ via subsequent arrest notification. New hires are required to successfully complete a twelve (12) month probationary period.
- City of Huntington Beach On-line employment applications required. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- Respond to the supplemental questions to help us determine your qualifications for this classification.
- Applications will be screened for completeness, required qualifications and applicable certifications.
- All results will be sent via email. Therefore, please include a valid email address on your application.
- Please check any spam blocker you may have on your computer to enable your email account to receive our correspondence.
- Be prepared to upload and attach copies of all required certifications listed below to your on-line application.
- Copy of current driver license.
- Copy of California State EMT certification OR copy of National Registry EMT certification.
- Copy of required certifications (CA accredited Firefighter I Academy OR CSBFS Firefighter I OR copy of most recent paystub).
- Copy of CPAT or Biddle PAT certification.
- Failure to provide copies of all required certifications as listed above at the time of application will result in disqualification.
- Expired or missing certifications will result in disqualification.
- Please DO NOT attach documents other than those requested to your on-line job application. Doing so could result in disqualification.
SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Apply on-line by the posted deadline. No walk-ins will be permitted.
- All communication with candidates will be sent via email, therefore, please include correct email address on your application.
- Applicants meeting the City’s requirements will be invited to the oral board interview.
- Be prepared to upload and attach copies of all requested certifications listed above to your on-line application.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.