Deadline: September 2, 2016
Salary: $39,446.00 Annually
Providing fire suppression, emergency medical care, and specialty skills to protect the residents and visitors of the City of Indianapolis.
Must perform to the Suppression/Operations Division job analysis.
Must maintain a good physical condition and shall be able to pass department medical examinations as prescribed by the Indianapolis Fire Department Work Performance Evaluation, and all other department fitness requirements.
Rotating 24 hour shift activities divided between fire station and field operations.
- Fire suppression activities including, but not limited to:
- Driving of emergency vehicles in a safe, conscientious manner.
- Proficient operation of apparatus pumps requiring a through understanding of hydraulics.
- Perform routine maintenance of assigned station, apparatus, tools and equipment.
- Assist in assigned details (company inspections, pre-planning, public education, tours, etc.).
- Adhere to all rules, regulations, General Orders, and Standard Operating Procedures
- Perform communication operations for the Indianapolis Fire Department utilizing radios, computers, and MDT’s etc…
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief.
- All career Firefighters must maintain a minimum of the following throughout their employment with this department.
- State of Indiana First-Class Firefighter Certification or NFPA Firefighter I/II.
- State of Indiana Emergency Medical Technician Certification.
- State of Indiana valid OPERATORS License.
- All firefighters must acquire and maintain pertinent certifications for any special operations assignment.
THE FOLLOWING SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES ARE NECESSARY FOR POSITION FULFILLMENT:
Skills in operation of:
- Vehicle under emergency conditions
- Apparatus pump
- Aerial ladder
- Firefighting equipment and tools (ladders, hand tools, SCBA, ropes, ventilation fans, salvage covers, hose appliances and nozzles, and extrication equipment.
- EMS equipment
- Communication equipment
- Knowledge of:
- Indianapolis Fire Department rules and regulations and polices and procedures.
- Fire suppression and theories, methods, and procedures
- Fire tactics and strategies
- Ventilation procedures
- Salvage and overhaul procedures
- Rescue and extrication procedures
- Fire causes and hazards
- Fire pump operations and hydraulics
- Hazardous materials
- EMS procedures
- Radio communication procedures
- City geography (streets and roads)
- Fire and EMS report writing procedures
- Water supply and hydrant locations
- Work compatibly with others
- Apply above knowledge to analyze problems quickly and take appropriate action under stress
- Handle routine public contacts
- Perform basic mathematical functions
- Deliver lectures, talks, demonstrations, etc.
- Prepare routine reports
- Receive and follow directions
- Attend in-service trainings as provided by this department
- Attend other training as necessary to maintain fire and EMS certificatio
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.