Deadline: March 31, 2017
Internships have always been used as a stepping stone to help individuals get an edge in their chosen career. Our internship program could be your stepping stone. In today’s fire service, Emergency Medical Service (EMS) has become an integral part of a firefighter’s job requirements. The Maple Bluff Fire Rescue Department offers both fire and EMS experience to our interns. We provide our interns the opportunity to receive EMS certification to the Wisconsin EMT-Intermediate Technician/Advanced EMT Level and the State of Wisconsin Firefighter II Certification while achieving your Associate’s Degree in Fire Science from Madison Area Technical College.
Our intern firefighter/EMTs will also experience the camaraderie of living in a fire station and performing assigned duties as a team. In order to qualify to be an intern with our department you must be enrolled in or on the waiting list for the Fire Protection Program at Madison Area Technical College. If selected, your internship will last for the duration of the associate’s degree program (2 years). Our department offers four trainings per month, three fire and one EMS, to keep our staff trained to today’s ever changing standards. The Maple Bluff Fire Rescue Department provides financial assistance for additional trainings and classes. Our internship is a chance to receive the needed training, experience, and life skills to help you succeed in a career in the fire/EMS service.
The Maple Bluff Fire Rescue Department is a combination department consisting of 3 full-time staff, 25 volunteers and up to 7 interns. Our apparatus consists of a command pick-up truck, two engines and a boat for lake/water rescues. Our primary response area consists of the Village of Maple Bluff, and first-response in parts of the Township of Madison. We also respond in conjunction with the Deforest Area Fire & EMS Department as their Rapid Intervention Team (RIT) at structure fires.
The Maple Bluff Fire Rescue Department proudly serves its 1400 residents by providing fire suppression, fire prevention, vehicle extrication, public education, fire inspections, water/ice rescue, and emergency medical services. We also respond with neighboring departments when requested through the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) Division 115. Some of our mutual aid partners include the City of Madison, Township of Madison, Deforest, Monona, Truax Field (Dane County Regional Airport), Sun Prairie, Cottage Grove, and Waunakee Fire Departments. We respond to an average of 140+ calls per year.
- be a United States citizen
- be at least 18 years of age prior to starting Madison College’s Associate Degree Program
- be a high school graduate or possess a high school equivalency diploma
- Enrolled in or on the waiting list for the Fire Science Associate’s Degree Program at Madison College
- possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- must be of good mental and physical health
- pass a physical agility/written examination
- pass a pre-employment medical/drug screening
Qualities desirable in a firefighter/emt:
- motivation to serve
- effective communication skills
- good physical, mental, emotional health
- ability to exercise sound judgment
- strong sense of responsibility
- compassion in all situations
- ability to work as team member
- honesty and integrity
- good problem-solving skills
- desire to work hard
- sense of humor