Firefighter – Lateral
Deadline: May 7, 2018
Salary: $51,355.00 – $72,919.00 Annually
The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority (RTAA) is seeking qualified applicants with current experience in Firefighting to fill two (2) vacancies on the Airport Rescue and Firefighting team. These positions shall be responsible for maintaining a state of readiness for response to fire, medical, hazardous materials, and/or other emergency situations.
There are two (2) positions open. Both internal and external applicants will be considered. Applicants must be available for shift work (e.g., 48/96 schedule), on-call, overtime, and stand-by duties. Applicants must live within a 60-mile radius of the Reno-Tahoe International Airport in order to be able to respond to an emergency callout.
At the RTAA, the Airport Rescue Firefighter team is a key member of the Operations and Public Safety Department. Firefighters are primarily responsible for fire suppression, emergency medical response, hazardous materials, and other emergency management to help provide the public with a safe experience while traveling through the Reno-Tahoe International Airport. In addition, firefighters are responsible for maintaining fire vehicles and firefighting equipment, and performing job duties in a safe and prudent manner to best protect life and property. Incumbents shall be expected to wear a RTAA issued uniform during working hours.
Examples of Duties:
- Respond to all aircraft emergencies, hazardous materials incidents, or structural alarms; operate assigned vehicles; connect hoses to hydrants; operate firefighting equipment, pumps, and related equipment.
- Administer first aid and perform CPR.
- Participate in all drills and receives training in fire inspection, use of firefighting equipment, firefighting methods and techniques, and first aid/CPR.
- Assists Driver/Operators in the cleaning and maintenance of firefighting vehicles, equipment and facilities.
- Inspect buildings to determine compliance with Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority fire prevention rules, regulations, and procedures.
- Inspect aircraft refueling vehicles and storage areas in accordance with the Uniform Fire Code and FAA directives.
- Maintain records and prepare reports as necessary.
- Assist in clearing disabled aircraft from active runway; disarm military aircraft ejection seats.
- Perform salvage operations and place waterproof covers on materials subject to water damage.
- Act as Driver/Operator as required; may be required to drive and operate fire equipment on a relief basis.
The physical demands of the work may include:
- Sufficient clarity of vision to clearly distinguish objects both near and at a distance of 20 feet, peripheral vision, depth perception, night vision, and color vision, to identify vehicles, license plates, markings, access badges, and people.
- The ability to reach with hands and arms.
- Sufficient dexterity to enable regular use of hands and fingers to operate, handle and feel firefighting rescue and emergency medical tools and equipment.
- The ability to stand, run, walk, kneel, crouch down, stoop, crawl, twist, climb.
- The ability to use safe lifting techniques to regularly lift/carry/push/pull 25 pound objects. In emergencies, may be moving or lifting passengers or equipment exceeding 100 pounds, with or without assistance.
The working conditions may include:
- Performing work under various environmental conditions (within both climate controlled and non-climate controlled environments) involving exposure to cold, heat, and inclement weather.
- Performing work around moderate to high noise levels, vibrations, fire, chemicals, smoke, ash, debris, and other hazardous materials.
Benefits: The RTAA offers a competitive wage and benefit package, and provides a high-quality work-life balance. Employee benefits include 100% employer paid contributions to a distinct, defined benefit retirement program (Nevada PERS), 100% employer paid health insurance for employee, paid vacation and sick leave, and 13-paid holidays per year.
Open House: Interested applicants are invited to an open house on Thursday, May 11, 2018 from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the RTAA Fire House located at 1805 Riley Avenue, Reno, NV 89502. This open house is designed to provide applicants an opportunity to meet the other members of the Airport Rescue Firefighter team and command, tour the Fire House and equipment, and to learn more about the job and/or the RTAA.
Education: Graduation from high school or equivalent.
Experience: Seven (7) years of full-time, firefighter experience in an all-risk agency. Applicant must be currently employed within the fire service or separated from the fire service for no more than 12-months.
Certification: Applicants must possess the following valid certifications at the time of application. Copies of certifications must be attached to the application.
- Firefighter II
- Hazardous Materials (Haz-Mat) Operations Level
- Emergency Medical Technician Basic (EMT-B)
If certifications are from another state, applicants will be required to obtain State of Nevada certificates within 30-days of hire. Upon conditional offer of employment, applicants will also be required to produce their NFPA Annual Physical conducted within the last 12-months.
Licenses: A Valid Class B Driver’s License with F endorsement at time of application.Selection Procedure
How To Apply:
The application period may close without notice. Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. The application period will close once the first 30 qualified applicantshave been received, OR no later than 11:59 p.m. on Monday, May 7, 2018. A fully completed official online RTAA Employment Application must be received prior to the closure of the application period in order for an individual to be eligible for consideration. Interested applicants should apply online at: www.renoairport.com/employment.
The RTAA Employment Application is the primary screening tool to determine an applicant’s qualifications. A resume may be submitted in addition to, but not in lieu of, completing the RTAA Employment Application. Please review our online application instruction before submitting your application to ensure that you have:
- Completed all sections on the RTAA Employment Application,
- Provided detailed information to address how you meet and/or exceed minimum qualifications for the position,
- Provided a minimum of five (5) years of employment history,
- Explained any gaps in employment of six (6) months or more within the “Work History” section.
- If you had more than one (1) position with the same employer, list each position, and the time you were in that position, separately.
Questions about the application, selection process, the physical demands of the position, or requests for a reasonable accommodation, should be addressed to the RTAA HR Office at (775) 328-6450 or email@example.com.
Review of Application: After submission, the application will be reviewed to determine if it is complete and if minimum qualifications are met. For those candidates found to meet minimum qualifications, the next step of the process will be an application evaluation. It is essential that applications include detailed information regarding education and experience to enable evaluation of the application, as only the information contained in the application may be considered.
Interview Process: Based on the application evaluation process, only the most qualified applicants will be considered for an interview. Only a select number of applicants will be interviewed. The interview process may include an initial panel interview, followed by subsequent assessment exercises and/or employment interviews with other RTAA personnel.
Pre-Employment Requirements: The RTAA requires each candidate to successfully complete employment history verification prior to being considered for employment. All employment offers are subject to successful completion/passing of a drug-screening test, a fingerprint criminal history records check, security badging test, and post-offer physical and psychological examination.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.