Deadline: September 16, 2019
Salary: $32,299 – $47,609 Annually
A Firefighter I responds to emergency fire and related situations; assists with fire suppression and rescue operations, equipment and facilities maintenance.
• Combination education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and some experience in fire suppression;
• Valid NC driver’s license and good driving record;
• Some mechanical aptitude;
• Physical endurance and agility;
• Successful completion of written exam and practical demonstration of relevant National Fire Prevention Association 1001 Firefighter I and department specified competencies within six months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Some knowledge of firefighting techniques and procedures as applied to fire suppression;
• Some knowledge of hazardous materials and accident extrication principles and techniques;
• Some knowledge of hydraulics as applied to fire suppression;
• General knowledge of basic life support and first aid;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, subordinates and the general public.
• Respond to alarms and assist in the suppression of fires, including rescue, ventilating, crowd control, traffic control, containment of hazardous materials;
• Assist with fire inspections and fire code enforcement;
• Maintains required physical fitness;
• Participates in continuing training by individual study of technical materials and attendance at scheduled drills and classes;
• Inspects, cleans, and maintains fire hose, pumps, hydrants, related equipment and facilities.
Requires the ability to lift, push and pull up to 100 pounds occasionally, 50 pounds frequently and some very heavy work requiring exertion in excess of 100 pounds to move objects. Requires climbing, balancing, stooping, crouching, crawling, reaching with the arms and hands in any direction; standing, walking, grasping and feeling. Communication is required to convey detailed or important instructions accurately, loudly, or quickly. Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, night vision, peripheral vision, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work and observing general surroundings and activities.
The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially life threatening situations or unusual environmental risk which requires a full range of safety and other precautions. The worker is exposed to inside and outside environmental conditions including extreme heat and cold, and noise sufficient to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard. The worker is subject to hazards including proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, working in high places and exposure to high heat and chemicals.
24 hour rotating schedule, including working holidays and weekends. Some on call time and travel for education.
Worker is subject to final OSHA standards on bloodborne pathogens, OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard and is required to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus. Much of the work is performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves considerable personal hazard. Must pass physical based on NFPA standards. Requires CPR and First Aid certification. This position may be considered safety sensitive as defined by the Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
Application and instructions are available here. Submit City of Lexington Employment Application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, by mail to City of Lexington, P.O. Box 1615, Lexington, NC 27293 or in person at 711 South Talbert Blvd., Lexington, NC. Deadline to apply is September 16, 2019 at 5:00 pm. Applications are also taken until 5:00pm at the NC Works Career Center, 220 E. 1st Ave., Ext, Lexington, NC 27295.
Applicants offered employment will be asked to participate in a drug screening.
The City of Lexington does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, non-disqualifying disability, or genetic information in employment or the provision of services.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position. All employees may have other duties assigned at any time.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.