Deadline: December 6, 2015
Salary: $47,313.76 Per Year
In order to be considered for employment with the Madison Fire Department, at the time of application you must:
- be a United States citizen;
- be at least 18 years of age (there is no maximum age limit);
- be a high school graduate or possess a high school equivalency diploma;
- possess a current driver’s license;
- be of sound mental and physical health;
- complete a rigorous academic and physical training program.
Qualities Desirable in a Firefighter:
- motivation to serve
- effective communication skills
- physical, mental, and emotional health
- ability to exercise sound judgment
- strong sense of responsibility
- compassion (even when stressed)
- ability to work as a team member
- honesty and integrity
- problem-solving skills
- strong work ethic
- sense of humor
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
While not an all-inclusive list, the following examples are meant to illustrate some of the extreme physical demands and working conditions inherent in the role of a firefighter.
- Pick up and advance charged fire hoses.
- Force entry with axe/battering ram.
- Rescue/extricate victim(s).
- Perform CPR; apply bandages.
- Climb stairs with equipment weighing approximately 50 pounds.
- Strip and vent roofs, breach walls, overhaul burned buildings.
- Lift and climb/descend ladders (with victims).
- Visually determine fire status/hazards; assess patient conditions.
- Hear calls for help; identify fire noise, etc.
- Walk on roof tops under adverse conditions.
- Operate power tools and extrication equipment, and tie knots.
- Stoop, crawl, crouch, and kneel in confined spaces.
- Reach, twist, balance, grapple, bend, and lift under emergency conditions.
- Run, dodge, jump, and maneuver with equipment.
- All of the above may be performed wearing heavy and restrictive protective clothing/gear.
The physical demands of a firefighter are characterized by strength, endurance, coordination, agility and dexterity.
- Work in extreme temperatures both day and night; in rain, snow, and ice.
- Exposure to fumes, gases, noxious odors, dust, and poor ventilation.
- Work in closely confined spaces.
- Work around potential hazards: fire, explosives, chemicals, electrical shock, structural hazards, fast-moving vehicles, etc.
- Intense exposure to water and/other liquids.
- Exposure to blood, serious injuries, and death.
- Exposure to a wide range of highly emotional and traumatic events.
- Exposure to noise and vibration from tools, equipment, machinery, etc.
- Work at heights (e.g., on ladders, roof tops, etc).
- Work within restrictions of personal safety equipment (e.g., breathing apparatus, steel-tip boots, hearing and eye protection, firefighting turn-out clothing, and hazardous materials gear).
A firefighter must perform physically demanding work, requiring judgment, under adverse working conditions.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.