Deadline: August 11, 2017
Salary: $47, 260.95 Annually
The City of Marshalltown will conduct competitive entrance examinations for firefighters on August 26, 2017. Applications are available online at www.ci.marshalltown.ia.us or at City Hall, 24 North Center, Marshalltown, IA 50158 (641) 754-5704.
Completed applications and the $15 non-refundable testing fee must be received by Friday, August 11, 2017 at Noon. to the City Human Resource Department. If submitting the application by email, the testing fee may be paid on the day of testing.
The testing process will consist of:
- A six-part physical fitness/agility test
- A written exam
- A panel interview
- A background investigation with criminal history check
To become a firefighter for the City of Marshalltown, all minimum hiring standards must be satisfied. A person must:
- Be a U.S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa, or intend to become a resident upon being employed;
- Be at least 18 years of age on, or as of August 26, 2017;
- As per Chapter 400 Section 17, Code of Iowa, the maximum age for a firefighter is sixty-five years of age;
- Hold a valid Iowa Drivers license at time of hire;
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Must be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician (National Registry or State ofIowa) prior to job offer;
- Successfully pass the physical fitness/agility testing and written exam;
- Be a high school graduate or posses a GED certificate;
- Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/30 andcolor vision consistent with the occupational demands;
- Have normal hearing in each ear and;
- Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill theresponsibilities of a firefighter including drug testing.
- Applicants must meet the requirements of Section 400.17, Code of Iowa, which appearsin this brochure.
- Veterans’ preference points in accordance with Chapter 35 and 35C, Code of Iowa will be added to eligible candidates’ written test scores.
- Hiring preference may be given to those who do not currently use tobacco products. Hiring preference may be given to Firefighter I and II certified individuals.
Hiring preference may be given to individuals with previous firefighting experience.
The Marshalltown Fire Department is divided into three (3) shifts, with each working a 24 hours on – 48 hours off schedule.
Starting salary as of July 1, 2017 is $47, 260.95.
Benefits include State of Iowa Police and Firefighter Retirement System, individual and family insurance and dental plans, life insurance, employee assistance program, flexible benefit plan, paid vacation and holidays, and sick leave accrual. Uniforms are provided.
Employees Under Civil Service – Qualifications
Except as otherwise provided in section 400.7 (Preference by Service) a person shall not be appointed, promoted, or employed in any capacity, including a new classification, in the fire or police department, or any department which is governed by the civil service, until the person has passed a civil service examination as provided in this chapter, and has been certified to the city council as being eligible for the appointment. However, in an emergency in which
the peace and order of the city is threatened by reason of fire, flood, storm, or mob violence, making additional protection of life and property necessary, the person having the appointing power may deputize additional persons, without examination, to act as peace officers until the emergency has passed. A person may be appointed to a position subject to successfully completing a civil service medical examination. A person shall not be appointed or employed in any capacity in the fire or police department if the person is unable to meet reasonable physical condition training requirements and reasonable level of experience requirements necessary for the performance of the position; if the person is a habitual criminal; if the person is addicted to narcotics or alcohol and has not been rehabilitated for a period of one year or more, or is not presently undergoing treatment; or if the person has attempted a deception or fraud in connection with a civil service examination.
Except as otherwise provided in this section and section 400.7, a person shall not be appointed or employed in any capacity in any department which is governed by civil service if the person is unable to meet reasonable physical condition training requirements and reasonable level of experience requirements necessary for the performance of the position; if the person is addicted to narcotics or alcohol and has not been rehabilitated for a period of one year or more, or is not presently undergoing treatment; or if the person has attempted a deception or fraud in connection with a civil service examination. Employees shall not be required to be a
resident of the city in which they are employed, but they shall become a resident of the state at the time such appointment or employment begins and shall remain a resident of the state during employment. Cities may set reasonable maximum distances outside of the corporate limits of the city that police officers, firefighters and other critical municipal employees may live. **
A person shall not be appointed, promoted, discharged, or demoted to or from a civil service position or in any other way favored or discriminated against in that position because of political or religious opinions or affiliations, race, national origin, sex, or age. However, the maximum age for a police officer or firefighter covered by this chapter and employed for police duty or the duty of fighting fires is sixty-five years of age.
* Fire Department personnel, except non-sworn civilian employees, shall live within a twenty minute driving time of the City limits of Marshalltown. Driving time shall mean driving under normal conditions and within speed limits, per Marshalltown City Council resolution 86-21.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.