Deadline: January 2, 2018
Salary: $13.10 – $14.10 Hourly
The Monroe Fire Department is looking for energetic individuals to fill entry level positions.
Applicants must live within fifteen miles of the area served by the Monroe Fire Department.
Controls and extinguishes fires, protects life and property, and maintains equipment by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to fire alarms, hazardous materials incidents, medical emergencies, and other emergency calls.
- Selects hose nozzle, depending on type of fire, and directs stream of water or chemicals onto fire.
- Positions and climbs ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings or to assist individuals from burning structures.
- Creates openings in buildings for ventilation or entrance.
- Searches buildings and rescues victims from structures and vehicles.
- Protects property from water and smoke by use of waterproof salvage covers, smoke ejectors, and deodorants.
- Provides first aid, and CPR to injured persons and those overcome by fire and smoke.
- Tests and maintains power tools and equipment.
- Communicates with superior during fire by portable two-way radio.
- Rescues individuals and animals from situations in which they are physically trapped.
- Contains, controls, and decontaminates hazardous materials spills.
- Performs a variety of salvage and clean-up operations, including removing water, chemicals, and debris.
- Makes presentations on fire safety, burn prevention, and fire prevention to schools and community groups.
- Maintains apparatus, quarters, buildings, equipment, grounds, and hydrants.
- Participates in drills, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and firefighting techniques.
- Drives and operates firefighting vehicles and equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Typical Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear.
The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 50 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.