Deadline: September 30, 2018
Salary: $18.73 Hourly
A fire fighter works under the supervision and the general direction of a Shift Officer. He/she protects life and property by performing firefighting, emergency medical services, hazardous materials, technical rescue, and fire prevention duties within Oak Creek, mutual aid territories in state or interstate mutual aid and other Homeland Security directives.
Duties, Functions and Supervision/Accountability:Essential Functions:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related of a logical assignment to the position. The complete job description is available upon request.
- Performs firefighting activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, and performing fire combat, containment and extinguishment tasks.
- Respond as a member of a medical team to bring emergency medical care to the citizens of the community.
- Performs duties as a certified Firefighter/EMT-P according to criteria and standards set forth by the department or state.
- Performs duties as a Fire Apparatus Driver and Pump Operator, when assigned.
- Operates and performs general maintenance on all fire department vehicles and equipment.
- Prepares written reports and maintains records under the supervision of Battalion Chief/Shift Officer in a timely manner.
- Present programs to the community on safety, medical, and fire prevention topics.
- Receives and relays fire calls and alarms. Operate radio and other communication equipment.
- Conducts fire inspections in various occupancies in the city as assigned. Assists in performing monthly preplan assignments.
- Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes, hangs and dries hose; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
Other duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Minimum of 18 years of age.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Possess a valid Wisconsin’s Driver’s license, at time of hire.
- US citizenship, at time of hire.
- Wisconsin Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic, at time of conditional offer.
- Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician Paramedic, at time of conditional offer.
- Wisconsin Certified Fire Fighter Level II, at time of conditional offer.
- Wisconsin Certified Fire Apparatus Driver/Operator preferred. Will be required within 24 months of date of hire.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) dated within one (1) year at the time of conditional offer.
- At the time of application, applicants shall certify that they do not smoke or use tobacco products.
- If veteran, proof of honorable discharge.
- Preference points will be given to veterans with proof of honorable discharge.
- Preference points will be given for Bachelor’s and Associate’s Degree in a fire-related discipline, Examples include Fire Service Administration, Fire Service Management, Fire Science, Fire Science Technology, Emergency Management, Emergency Medical Systems Management, Public Safety Administration, Fire Protection, Fire Investigation, and Fire Medic.
Special Conditions of Work:Additional Information
The starting salary is $54,545 annually.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
Candidates that meet the minimum requirements and submit all required supplemental documents will be invited to participate in an examination process that will include the following steps:
- Personnel Evaluation Profile: A written Personnel Evaluation Profile will be administered at the Fire Department Headquarters located at 7000 S. 6th Street, Oak Creek, WI on Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 9 a.m.
- Written Examination: Entry Level Firefighter Examination will be administered immediately following the Personnel Evaluation Profile. If a candidate took the State Firefighter exam within the past 6 months (184 days) and the department obtains verification from the exam office the candidate is not required to retake the exam. Please note, the candidate will still be required to take the Personnel Evaluation Profile on October 20, 2018.
- Department Interview: Candidates who successfully pass the Personnel Evaluation Profile and written exam may be invited to department interviews. Department interviews will be conducted by the Fire Chief and Command Staff.
- Background Investigation.
- Successfully pass the IAFF/IAFC Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT). CPAT certification must be dated within one (1) year at the time of conditional offer.
- Medical Evaluation and Job Traits Assessment. After a conditional offer of employment has been made, but prior to commencement of employment, the candidate must attain a passing score on a comprehensive psychological test and pass a thorough medical examination that includes, but is not limited to, a drug screen.
FAILURE TO MEET ANY OF THE ABOVE CRITERIA WILL RESULT IN THE CANDIDATE’S REMOVAL FROM THE HIRING PROCESS.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL 11:59 PM ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2018. Qualified applicants will be notified of any examinations, interviews or other events in the selection process by email.
- Complete on-line application at the City of Oak Creek’s website.
- Attach a copy of the following to your on-line application:
- High School diploma
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree
- State of Wisconsin EMT-Paramedic license or proof you are currently enrolled in a paramedic program.
- National Registry EMT-Paramedic license.
- State of Wisconsin Firefighter Level II certification or proof you are currently enrolled in this program.
- State of Wisconsin Driver/Operator-Pumper certification (preferred, not required).
- Form DD214, if applicable for Veterans.
REQUIRED AT LATER STEPS IN THE PROCESS
A copy of your Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate will be required at the time of conditional offer. The certificate must be from an agency certified by the International Fire Chief’s Association and the International Firefighter’s Association to administer the exam.
Several locations offer the CPAT exam:
City of West Allis Fire Department: http://www.westalliswi.gov/fire
Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy: www.nipsta.org
Fox Valley Technical College: www.fvtc.edu
Chippewa Valley Technical College: www.cvtv.edu
For more information on the exam and other locations, please visit http://www.candidatephysicalabilitytest.com
For further questions regarding the hiring process or the position, contact the Oak Creek Fire Department Secretary, Anna Waarvik at 414-570-5647.
The City of Oak Creek is an equal opportunity employer. All individuals including women, minorities and those with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.