Firefighter and Firefighter/Paramedic
Deadline: August 31, 2018
Firefighter Monthly Rates:
- Firefighter 4th class: $4,310
- Firefighter 3rd class: $4,834
- Firefighter 2nd class: $5,423
- Firefighter 1st class: $6,085
Lateral Entry Firefighter Paramedic Monthly Rates:
- Firefighter Paramedic 3rd class: $5,451
- Firefighter Paramedic 2nd class: $6,116
- Firefighter Paramedic 1st class: $6,862
The Colorado Springs Fire Department is currently building a list for an anticipated academy in FEBRUARY 2019 for Entry Level Firefighter.
Candidates MUST have a valid FireTEAM score as a minimum qualification submitted to the department no later than 8/31/2018. To submit a copy of your CPAT and EMT certification please refer to the department website (https://csfd.coloradosprings.gov/page/application-testing-process) for instructions and deadlines.
Salary and Benefit Information: https://csfd.coloradosprings.gov/page/firefighter-salary-benefits
Candidate Contact :
Colorado Springs Fire Department Human Resources
Department Overview: The Colorado Springs Fire Department went into service on February 12, 1894, with one fire station, a staff of six and a horse-drawn pumper. Today, the department has 22 fire stations and 452 fulltime uniformed firefighters. The department has 22 engine companies, 6 truck companies, a heavy rescue team, a hazardous materials response team, and three medical squads. Additionally, the department has 11 brush trucks for wildland firefighting, one air supply truck, one hazardous materials decontamination vehicle, and one hose wagon. Fire stations are staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week with daily minimum staffing of 115 personnel. Major programs include Hazardous Materials Response, Heavy Rescue, High Angle Rescue, and Wildfire Suppression, with many other programs that support the department’s mission. The Colorado Springs Fire Department is the first responder on all medical emergencies within the city, as well as the provider of all fire code enforcement activities. The department responded to 68,683 calls in 2015 and approximately 63% of those are medical emergencies.
City Information: The City of Colorado Springs is located in south-central Colorado between the foothills of the Rocky Mountains and the eastern plains of Colorado. The city is 195 square miles and the elevation is 6,035 feet with an estimated 2015 population of 457,900. Colorado Springs is the state’s largest city in terms of area and second only to Denver in population. The city lies in a semi-arid climate with an average snowfall of 44.6 inches annually.
There are five major military institutions in Colorado Springs: Fort Carson, Schriever Air Force Base, Peterson Air Force Base, Cheyenne Mountain Air Station, and the United States Air Force Academy. These bases are a significant factor in the local economy, constituting over 20% of all employment. Other major industries include defense contracting, healthcare, software development, semiconductor manufacturing, telecommunications, data centers, religious and nonprofit organizations, and tourism.
Some of the major attractions in Colorado Springs include Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, Broadmoor Hotel, Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame, United States Olympic Training Center, and United States Air Force Academy.
US Citizen: Yes, You must be by the date of hire a US citizen, permanent resident alien, temporary resident alien, applicant for temporary resident status, refugee or asylee. All applicants that are offered employment must provide documents to establish their identity and employment eligibility for authorization to work in the U.S.
High School Grad/GED: Yes.
Valid COLORADO State Driver’s License: Yes, or able to obtain. Any valid US driver’s license is acceptable.
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
- Have and maintain a current National Registry EMT – Basic or a Colorado EMT – Basic Certificate as of 10/6/2018. If you have only a National Register EMT – Basic, you must be able to seek Colorado State reciprocity for your EMT – Basic.
- Successfully completed the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) no more than 12 months prior to the deadline of 10/6/2018*.
- Maintain a valid FireTEAM score using National Testing Network (NTN). **
- Be in appropriate physical condition and meet medical standards as established by the City of Colorado Springs Fire Department
- You must not have been convicted of a crime that would affect your ability to certify with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Visit the NREMT website at https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp that will preclude EMT certification
- Entry Level Firefighter trainees, as a minimum qualification of their position, must successfully meet all testing and performance standards of the CSFD Academy, including but not limited to maintaining the required academic average on exams, passing the required number of academic and skills tests, as well as successfully passing any physical abilities testing.
*Only a CPAT licensed by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) will be accepted. The Colorado Springs Fire Department requires candidates to have a valid CPAT at the time of testing (see specific date on specific hiring postings and communications) and at the time of final employment offers. Find CPAT organizations here.
** A FireTEAM score is deemed valid by NTN. Scores are determined with the following minimum and weighted scores.
|MINIMUM AND/OR WEIGHTING|
|Human Relations||No minimum score|
|Mechanical Aptitude||No minimum score|
|Reading||Minimum score of 70% –
marked as pass/fail
|Math||Minimum score of 70% –
marked as pass/fail
|Total Score||Weighted score of Human Relations
(70%) and Mechanical (30%)
Felony, Criminal Activity Disqualifiers: No felony convictions allowed; candidates must not have been convicted of a crime that would affect your ability to certify with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Visit the NREMT website at https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp that will preclude EMT certification.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.