Deadline: July 24, 2017
Salary: $41,257.00 Annually
Examples of Work:
5. Must pass or have passed Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) with a certification valid through July 1, 2018.
6. Must pass a Background Investigation.
Please note – using a mobile device, such as a phone or tablet, to complete this application is NOT recommended. You are highly encouraged to use a desktop or laptop computer so that you can carefully and thoroughly read and understand all aspects of applying for this position.
All male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 and over are required to register with Selective Service. Please go to the Selective Service website to register or verify your registration.
All notifications for this position will be made via email, therefore each applicant must update their on-line profile with any changes to personal information, and must continually monitor the email account provided. Also, be sure to update your junk/spam settings to allow emails from all addresses ending in “@co.pg.md.us”.
- Annual Leave: 13 days per year for the first three (3) years
- 20 days per year after three (3) years
- 26 days per year after sixteen (16) years
- Personal Leave: 3 days per year
- Holidays: 12 per year (plus Inauguration Day every four years)
- Sick Leave: 13 days per year
- Military Leave: 15 days per year to employees who are reservists or members of the National Reserve or Guard ordered to active duty or active training duty
- Life Insurance: Paid by County Government
- Medical Benefits: County pays 73% of cost under PPO; 78% of cost under HMO
- Retirement: 20 year service retirement with 50% of salary based on highest two years of service
- Employee Assistance Program: 24/7 availability for self and household members
SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants must successfully complete and pass all of the following:
• Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) Must success complete CPAT prior to taking the Entry Level Written Examination.
• Written Examination
• Background Investigation to include:
• Credit Check
• Criminal Background Check
• Psychological Screening
• Oral Board Panel Interview
• Conditional Offer of Employment
• Medical Examination – complete NFPA 1582 physical
DISQUALIFIES: The following factors are considered disqualifying and may result in non-selection for employment as a Prince George’s County Fire Fighter. Each of these disqualifiers will be reviewed for each applicant on an individual basis.
• Criminal conviction, guilty plea or probation for a felony.
• Conviction of any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude (breaking and entering, theft, arson, or assault).
• Four (4) or more negative points on a Maryland Operator’s License or the equivalent for out of state licenses until the points expire.
• One DWI/DUI conviction, guilty plea or probation within three (3) years of the date of application. More than one (1) DWI/DUI conviction, guilty plea or probation.
• Any conviction for serious violations including, but not limited to, manslaughter, hit-and-run with injury, leaving the scene of an accident, eluding police or any suspension, revocation or refused licenses until the license is reinstated.
• Illegal possession, usage, distribution, sale or purchase, of non-prescription narcotics, controlled substances or illegal drugs (such as marijuana, heroin, cocaine, hallucinogens, etc.).
• Any misrepresentation, falsification or omission of any information on any application, document or in response to any question in the applicant process.
• History or pattern of alcohol abuse.
• Previous disqualification from this, or any other public safety agency.
Additional or other reasons for disqualification may include (but are not limited to) the following: poor work history; failure to meet physical standards; inability to complete any of the component parts of the selection process; and/or any other disqualifying factor as determined by the Fire/EMS Department.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Any of the following:
• Nationally Registered EMT
• Nationally Registered Paramedic
• Acceptable Military Service (Honorable Discharge)
• Veteran’s Preference
• Successful Completion of College Credits
• Successful Completion of the Prince George’s County Fire Cadet Program
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: All persons selected for the Fire Fighter I/II position must agree to and sign a Conditions of Employment stating the following:
• At the completion of Fire/EMS Career Recruit School, the employee shall have obtained and thereafter maintain, national certification for EMT, or national certification for Paramedic that meets or exceeds the minimum standard adopted by the department.
• Maintain a driver operator license for class of vehicle specified by the Fire Chief.
• Maintain at least an overall satisfactory rating in the County’s Past Performance Appraisal System.
• Participate in and successfully complete a mandatory Physical Fitness Program as designed by the Fire/EMS Department.
• Successfully complete Fire/EMS Recruit School, the probationary period (1-year), and the Recruit Study Guide under guidelines established by the Fire Chief.
• Successfully pass ALL Fire/EMS Recruit School courses.
1. Applicants must first pass the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
This candidate physical ability test (CPAT) Consists of eight (8) separate events. The CPAT is a sequence of events requiring the applicant to progress along a predetermined path from event to event in a continuous manner. This test was developed to allow fire departments to obtain pools of trainable applicants who are physically able to perform essential job duties tasks at fire scenes.
CPAT Orientation, practice sessions and testing will be conducted July 30 through October 29, 2017. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be provided additional information regarding the CPAT process.
TO VIEW CPAT INFORMATION PACKET CLICK HERE: Candidate Physical Ability Test
TO VIEW CPAT VIDEO CLICK HERE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FLkb3QVk2U
The entry-level examination will be given under this announcement during the month of October. Only applicants who pass the CPAT process will be provided specific information regarding the written examination, the date, the time and location of the test.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, an employer is required to hire only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. Applicants who are selected for employment will be required to show and verify authorization to work in the United States.
CLOSING DATE: In order to be eligible for the 2017 examination, each applicant must submit a completed application on-line, maintain the email account designated in the application, because notices will only be delivered via email, and update your profile whenever there are changes to your personal information, in order to be considered. The application must be completed and submitted on-line via the Prince Georges County website: All completed applications must be received by 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST) on July 24, 2017.
Applications WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED if received after 5:00 PM (EST) on July 24, 2017.
PLEASE NOTE: If you experience difficulties submitting your application on-line, please call 301-883-6330 or you can come to the Office of Human Resources Management – Recruitment, Examination and Classification (REC) Division, 1400 McCormick Drive, Suite 159, Largo, Maryland, for assistance. The HR Staff will be available to guide you through this process.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.