Deadline: Open Until filled
Salary: $47,340 – $66,991 Annually
Firefighter Recruits are trained for fire suppression, emergency medical treatment, and hazard mitigation work in the Fire Department. Recruits are sent to the Phoenix Fire Department Training Academy for 12 weeks of basic recruit training followed by nine months of structured training and evaluation. Basic recruit training covers firefighting operations, emergency medical and transportation services, physical fitness, and other related subjects. After successfully completing the Academy, recruits become firefighters. Presently, the Firefighter salary range is $47,340 – $66,991 annually.
First review of applications will occur the week of October 9, 2017. Recruitment may close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
To guarantee a spot to the written exam apply by Monday, October 9, 2017.
Firefighter Recruit: $22.76 hourly/ $47,341 annually.
- Must be at least 18 years of age by October 6, 2017.
- Proof of successful completion of a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) from a licensed agency required at time of final interview. This certification must be no more than 6 months old at time of final selection interview.
- Must possess State of Arizona Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification at time of final selection interview. National Registry EMT certification not accepted.
- Ability to read and comprehend written material at a level appropriate for this assignment.
- Applicants with at least a high school diploma or GED are preferred (reading material used on the written exam, during the Academy, and on the job will be at approximately grade 14 reading level).
HOW TO APPLY This recruitment requires you to apply online and pass a written exam to be eligible for these positions.
Register online. Register for the exam by APPLYING ONLINE and completing the required information (a resume is not required). Only online applications are accepted for this position. An online application MUST be completed in order to attend the written exam. If you need assistance, you may contact the City of Phoenix HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700 or you may visit them at 251 W. Washington, Phoenix, 1st Floor, and staff will assist you in applying online.
Everyone who submits an online application will be invited to the written exam by email. Applying online will ensure that you are registered for the exam. You MUST be registered in order to be admitted into the exam. If you do not receive your exam invitation by Friday, October 20, please call (602) 495-5703. Please do not call before October 20th for exam information.
Study for the exam. You will need to download and review the following document before the exam.
- 2017 Firefighter Recruit Study Guide
This document will remain on the internet until the written exam. To access these documents, go to the Current Employment Opportunities Forms Page: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Pages/jobformsindex.aspx
Take the written exam. The multiple choice written exam is scheduled for Wednesday, November 15, 2017. Approximately 70 percent of the test questions will be derived from the 2017 Firefighter Recruit Study Guide. The remaining test questions will consist of reading comprehension, basic math, and mechanical aptitude. Previous scores cannot be reused.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/Documents/Talent-Acquisition/Employment-Information.pdf
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Firefighter Recruit, JC #61019, ID #24559, 10/2/2017, 12M, VG, Unit 5, Q, SG
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer; our employees demonstrate superior seamless customer service, integrity, and commitment to innovation, efficiency, and fiscally responsible activity.
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.