Deadline: June 27, 2016
Salary: $38,537.00 per year
General Application Requirements:
- You must submit, show proof of, or attest to all of the following at the time of filing your online application (unless otherwise indicated below) or your application may be disqualified.
- Completed online City of Pittsburgh Application for this position (see web address in above box), including your online Employment Profile Data.Â (Education and Work Experience) and Supplemental Form questions for this position.
- At least 18 years of age at the time of filing application.
- Applicants are required to be City of Pittsburgh residents at the time of submitting their application and must remain a resident throughout employment.Â You must affirm your residency on the online supplemental question as part of the online application AND you must come in person to the Department of Personnel & Civil Service office to show proof of residency before 4:45 p.m. Monday, June 27, 2016.Â Applicants who are granted a military deferment pursuant to Civil Service Rule II, Section 3 (http://www.city.pittsburgh.pa.us/personnel/assets/10_civil_service_statutes_rules.pdf) must come in person to the Department of Personnel & Civil Service Commission office to show proof of residency upon their return from deployment before they may take the Civil Service examination(s).
- A current, valid Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operatorâ€™s License (Class C) must be presented at the time of filing application or prior to the start of employment processing.Â A valid PA driverâ€™s license must be maintained throughout employment.
- Able to obtain and maintain throughout employment the Department of Public Safety, Fire Bureau-Driverâ€™s Certification of Emergency Apparatus.
- Able to maintain throughout employment the Pennsylvania Emergency Medical Technician Certificate.
- Veteranâ€™s Preference documentation, if applicable, must be submitted at time of filing application or no later than your Physical Ability Examination date.Â (Review the Veteranâ€™s Preference section on other side of this Announcement for details.)
NOTE:Â The City of Pittsburgh, as a matter of policy, conducts pre-employment and promotional background investigations on all candidates being considered for positions.Â The background investigation includes but is not limited to criminal background, driverâ€™s license and City of Pittsburgh real estate tax payments.Â Candidates may be disqualified from consideration for employment based on the results of their background investigation (as it relates to the job for which the applicant is being considered).
NOTE:Â The filing deadline is Monday, June 27, 2016.Â If you need assistance in filing your online application contact the Civil Service Office, 4th floor, City-County building, 414 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PAÂ 15219 or call 412-255-2710 on or before 4:45 p.m., June 27, 2016.
LISTED BELOW ARE SOME LOCATIONS WHICH HAVE PERSONAL COMPUTERS AVAILABLE FOR YOU TO APPLY ONLINE:
- PERSONNEL & CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION (see address in above box)
- BEDFORD HOPE CENTER,Â 2305 Bedford Avenue, Pittsburgh, PAÂ 15219
- BLOOMFIELD-GARFIELD CORPORATION, 5321 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15224
- HOMEWOOD-BRUSHTON Y.W.C.A., 6907 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15208
- THE KINGSLEY ASSOCIATION, 6435 Frankstown Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- THE HILL HOUSE, 1835 Centre Avenue, Pittsburgh, PAÂ 15219
- PITTSBURGH/ALLEGHENY COUNTY PA CAREERLINK OFFICEÂ 304 Wood Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- GOODWILL INDUSTRIES PA CAREERLINK OFFICE, 118 52nd Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
- URBAN LEAGUE OF PITTSBURGH, 610 Wood Street, Pittsburgh, PAÂ 15222
- THE FOLLOWING NEIGHBORHOOD EMPLOYMENT CENTERS
(CALL FOR LOCATIONS AND OPERATING HOURS)
Brashear Assoc.Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 412-390-3588Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Oakland – Carnegie LibraryÂ Â 412-622-3133
East SideÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 412-362-8580Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â West End WorksÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 412-533-2029
Career & Workforce Center EastÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â 412-241-2811
Northside Neighborhood Employment CenterÂ Â Â Â Â Â 412-330-2551
Department:Â Public Safety, Bureau of Fire
Salary:Â $148.19 per day while in Training Academy.Â $38,537.00 per year, Firefighter First Year (2016).
Union: Â Pittsburgh Firefighters Local No. 1
Benefits:Â Health and Life Insurance, Dental, Vision, Paid Vacation and Holidays, Pension Plan, Voluntary Deferred Compensation Program, Uniform Allowance, Promotional Opportunities.Â (Benefits may be modified based on collective bargaining unit terms.)
Conviction of a felony or serious misdemeanor is disqualifying unless applicant has been pardoned.Â Other behavior, which is incompatible with the duties and responsibilities of the position of Firefighter, may also be disqualifying.
Veteransâ€™ Preference points will be awarded to eligible candidates who achieve a FINAL passing score.Â You must present (in person or by mail) your, or your spouseâ€™s (if deceased or disabled), ORIGINAL or COPY of original discharge and separation papers (DD-214).Â Your initial service obligation must be completed by the date of the written examination.
If you are unable to locate your discharge and separation papers (Form DD-214), you must complete a â€œRequest Pertaining to Military Recordsâ€ Form (SF-180) and send it to the appropriate agency.Â When received, return a copy of your DD-214 to the Civil Service Office, 4th Floor, City-County Building.Â Military or National Guard reservists are eligible for veteransâ€™ preference if they have completed their initial reserve obligation.Â Reservists must provide a statement of service letter from their current Reserve or National Guard commanding officer at the rank of colonel (Army, Air Force, Marine), captain (Navy or Coast Guard) or higher.Â The letter can be taken or mailed to the Personnel Department Application Counter located on the fourth floor of the City-County Building, 414 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, PAÂ 15219.Â The letter must include:
- A statement that characterizes your current service (i.e., honorable or under honorable conditions).
- Date military or National Guard reserve service began.
- Completion date of initial military reserve obligation.
CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS:
If you meet the General Application Requirements listed on front page, you will be sent a letter of admission for the written examination.
Written Examination Dates: Friday, July 22, 2016 (Evening) and Saturday, July 23, 2016 (Morning).Â During your application process you will need to select one of the two test date options.Â An Admission letter will be mailed to you approximately two weeks before the written examination date, assuming you presented verification of your City of Pittsburgh residency.Â You MUST present the admission letter to sit for the written examination.Â The written examination component is weighted at approximately 50 percent of the total score.
NOTE: Pretest preparation will be offered for the written examination.Â Information will be provided to applicants at a later date.
Physical Ability PRE-TEST TRAINING AND EXAMINATION:Â Conducted at the Training Academy.Â DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED â€“ Pre-Test Training will likely be held the week of August 8, 2016.
The Physical Ability Examination tentative dates are the weeks of September 12, 2016 and September 23, 2016.
If you take and pass the written examination you will be scheduled for the physical ability pre-test training and also the subsequent physical ability examination.Â The physical ability examination component is scored and weighted at 50 percent of the total score.
This assessment will be administered to candidates who receive conditional offers of employment.Â Final appointment to the Training Academy is contingent upon successful completion of the assessment.Â The medical standards include having vision corrected to at least 20/30.Â In addition, candidates shall have normal depth and color perception, and must be free of any significant visual abnormality.
NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER CHANGES:Â Â You must come in person with documentation to the Department of Personnel and Civil Service Commission in order to make any changes to your name, address and telephone number.Â Â If you do not provide this information, you may miss an important call or notice, and you will not be eligible for further processing.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.