Salary: $39,843 Annually
The dedicated professionals of the South Bend Fire Department are committed to providing excellence in professional emergency services. We serve a diverse population of approximately 101,000 permanent citizens and provide mutual aid response to the University of Notre Dame, the City of Mishawaka, and other areas of St. Joseph County.
SBFD personnel train and work to provide the best emergency services available. We strive to meet every challenge with professionalism, integrity, and accountability, and we will set the standard for others in our field. We provide competent and compassionate care to those in need.
The SBFD has a state-of-the-art training center. This facility gives members of the department a space in which to train in both the classroom and practical skills settings. This allows SBFD personnel to continue their education, skill levels, and maintain certifications and licensing.
The SBFD staffs 11 engine companies, 4 ladder companies, 1 Rescue unit, and 7 ALS ambulances at 11 fire stations in the city.
Our Advanced Life Support ambulances are staffed with EMT’s and paramedics. We work closely with Medical Directors from 2 area hospitals to provide the most current, evidence-based EMS care available. All SBFD personnel are trained to provide EMS service and fire crews respond as first responders to EMS calls.
The SBFD provides training courses in firefighting, EMS, swift water rescue, hazardous materials response, confined space and technical rescue.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, but not yet 36 years of age when sworn in as a firefighter. All applicants must go through a 21 week Recruit Academy. At the end of the Academy the Recruit is sworn in as a firefighter. At that time you must NOT have reached your 36th birthday.
- Must be a high school graduate, as evidenced by a transcript issued by an accredited high school. An achievement test certificate from an accredited high school or State Board of education is acceptable.
- Must possess a valid unrestricted driver’s license.
- Must be willing, if appointed, to reside within St. Joseph County or an adjoining county in Indiana.
Veteran Status Waiver
- A Veteran not more than 40 years and 6 months of age who has completed 20 years of military service, who received or is eligible to receive an honorable discharge.
Copies of the Following Documents Are Required
- DD214 (Armed Services Discharge – if applicable).
- EMS certificates.
- Birth certificate.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Written Test.
- Candidate Physical Ability Test.
- Oral Interview Board.
- Background investigation.
- Polygraph investigation.
- Drug Screen
- MMPI and psychological examination.
- Pension (PERF) physical examination.
Hiring for the City of South Bend Fire Department is contingent on successfully passing all parts of the Recruit Academy which include but are not limited to: Firefighter I/II, Haz Mat Awareness and Operations, Emergency Vehicle Operation, Physical Fitness, and EMT training.
Some Factors that Result in Automatic Rejection
- Felony conviction.
- Domestic Violence conviction.
- Dishonorable discharge from military.
- DUI or OWI conviction in past 5 years.
Some Factors that may Decrease Employment Consideration
- Involvement in criminal activity.
- Misdemeanor convictions.
- Military rejection or early discharge for reason/concern.
- Drug selling.
- Illegal acts.
- Past job problems or firings.
- Other than marijuana, illegal drug use in the last 5 years.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
South Bend is the economic, educational, media, and cultural hub of a multi-county region spanning the Michigan-Indiana border. It’s the fourth-largest city in Indiana with over 100,000 residents. South Bend’s flourishing collegiate community and burgeoning tech industry have built upon the foundation of the city’s industrial past to create a vibrant present and a promising future. The city’s 14 institutions of higher learning, including the internationally renowned University of Notre Dame, infuse South Bend with creative energy in the arts, business, and technology. Combined with recent economic growth, strong neighborhoods, an affordable cost of living, exciting recreational opportunities, and thriving arts venues make South Bend a fabulous place to live, work, and, play.
***AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.***
The City of South Bend provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application/hiring process should contact the Legal Department’s ADA Compliance Officer at email@example.com and Office of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
The City of South Bend seeks to attract, develop, and retain the highest quality public safety officers, staff and administration. The City of South Bend is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to building a culturally diverse workplace. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented candidates and others that will enhance our community in compliance with EO No. 1-2016 Section 1. Moreover, the City of South Bend prohibits discrimination against veterans or disabled qualified individuals, and requires affirmative action by covered contractors to employ and advance veterans and qualified individuals with disabilities in compliance with 41 CFR 60-741.5(a) and 41 CFR 60-300.5(a).
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.