Deadline: December 19, 2017
Salary: $42,723.20 – $63,398.40
Individual suppresses fire utilizing standard fire service equipment to save lives and minimize property loss; performs salvage and overhaul activities to minimize property loss at the fire scene and to protect citizens from post fire damage; rescues endangered persons in emergency and non-emergency situations to maintain human life; assumes basic life support pre-hospital care and performs some advanced life support care from the apparatus to those in need of medical help to minimize pain and suffering and save lives; maintains departmental facilities, apparatus, specialized tools and equipment to ensure their operational readiness and long life; inspects various types of occupancies within the City for code conformance to ensure a fire safe environment; instructs general public to the danger of fire and how to create a fire safe environment to save lives and minimize property loss; engages in physical training to maintain the physical agility and stamina required to perform strenuous firefighting duties; participates in training drills and classes to ensure familiarity with proper practices and procedures of fire service techniques so as to provide efficient and effective delivery of related services.
MINIMUMS: Requires high school or GED or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Requires a passing score on departments written examination and vision test. Requires a passing time on the physical agility test. Requires a polygraph test evaluating personal employment history, criminal history, drug use, and other job related background disqualifiers. Must be classified as fit for employment by the Occupational Health Office and able to pass the Departments annual physical assessment test. Must refrain from using all tobacco products on and off the job. Must have, or obtain, a current and valid Virginia or North Carolina drivers license in accordance with Virginia or North Carolina DMV drivers license eligibility requirements. SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Reference job description via noted URL.
Pre-employment Physical: Required
CDL: Not Required
Attachments Required: None
Knowledge of basic mechanical and mathematical operations; ability to learn theoretical principles of firefighting quickly and accurately; ability to perform strenuous and demanding physical work; ability to learn theoretical principles and medical terminology related to Emergency Medical Technician course work; demonstrates ability to get along with peers; and responds to orders in a para-military organization.
IMPORTANT: The Virginia Beach Firefighter Recruit process may take 8-10 months. Visit VBgov.com/Fire for detailed information and instructions regarding the application, testing, and hiring process.
To ensure that you properly completed the application process for the 2018 Firefighter Recruit position, you MUST:
1. Complete the online application
2. Print and complete the Personal History Questionnaire. To access the Personal History Questionnaire, please visit www.VBgov.com/Fire and select “Career Opportunities”
More information about the Written Test and Candidate Physical Ability Test is available on VBgov.com/Fire
- Please complete the application in its entirety. The application is the primary required document used to screen qualifications and years of experience. A resume does not replace a completed application. Fields on the application left blank, including but not limited to job duties, dates of employment, and hours worked, may cause your application to be incomplete.
- You will not be able to access the details of this job ad once the closing date has passed. If you would like to retain this information, please take a screen shot or print using your browser’s printing capability.
- Your responses to any “Supplemental Questions”, if attached to this requisition, must be supported by the information you give us in the work experience section of this application. Be sure you are thorough in describing your skills and duties as you complete the work experience section. If the information cannot be verified you will not receive credit.
- Please provide a copy of any certifications or related professional licenses.
- If selected for this position you may be required to submit official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities listed on your application.
Forward your *OFFICIAL transcripts from your accredited colleges or universities to:
Department of Human Resources
2424 Courthouse Drive
Municipal Center, Building 18
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Current City of Virginia Beach employees who have their official transcripts from their accredited college or university in their personnel file will not have to provide another transcript to the Department of Human Resources.
*All higher education institutions must be accredited by an agency recognized by the US Department of Education.
VRS Contribution: All full-time employees are required to contribute 5% of annual salary toward their retirement account; in accordance with VRS retirement provisions. This will be handled through a pre-tax payroll deduction.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.