Deadline: June 25, 2017
Salary: $59,064.00 – $79,092.00 Annually
The City of Riverside Fire Department is announcing its recruitment for the position of Firefighter!
The application filing period starts on June 15, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. on June 25, 2017.
The City of Riverside Fire Department is a progressive, all-risk department responsible for the protection of a diverse population of over 300,000 people, covering nearly 82 square miles. Under the direction of Fire Chief Michael Moore, The City of Riverside Fire Department protects life, property, and the environment from 14 stations, responding to more than 34,000 calls for service. The department offers a variety of specialty programs, including Urban Search & Rescue, Hazardous Materials, and Arson.
Under the supervision of a Company Officer, Firefighters will perform a variety of duties in the protection of life and property by combating, extinguishing, and preventing fires, and by providing emergency medical care; to participate in training and fire prevention activities; to operate and maintain firefighting and rescue equipment, and fire stations; to serve as a fire inspector; and to do related work as required. Firefighters are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of apparatus, equipment, and fire stations. Firefighters will participate in a variety of training drills and evolutions with their individual companies, and with multiple companies as needed.
- Respond to fire alarms, rescue alarms, medical emergency, and other emergency calls to protect life and property endangered by fire; operate various communications equipment.
- Respond to requests for medical emergencies; provide immediate medical care to persons injured in automobile accidents, fires, industrial accidents, and victims of sudden serious illness such as heart attacks, drownings, and similar emergencies; observe and report vital signs; and administer medical treatment.
- Serve as a hose operator in firefighting situations; lay and connect hoses; hold nozzle and direct water streams in the control and extinguishing of fires in structures, brush, and grass; clean and test fire hoses; raise, lower, and climb aerial ladders; perform rescue work and remove persons from danger.
- Ventilate structures using such techniques as opening windows and chopping holes through the roof; use forcible entry tools, bars, hooks, life lines, chemical extinguishers, and other auxiliary equipment; assist in overhaul and salvage operations; sweep water and remove debris.
- Perform preventive maintenance and daily inspections on fire apparatus; inspect fire apparatus after each operation to ensure proper and efficient operating condition; clean, wash, and service fire apparatus; test, wash, hang, and dry hoses; change hoses on fire apparatus; report worn, damaged, or lost parts and tools;
- Clean and maintain station quarters, grounds, and equipment; perform routine housekeeping chores such as sweeping, mopping, cooking, and washing; assist visitors at the station and conduct tours.
- Conduct fire prevention inspection and education programs; serve as a fire inspector, inspecting commercial and other properties for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention codes and ordinances, and participating in or conducting investigations to determine fire causes.
- Participate in continuous training in fire prevention, inspection, and suppression through fire drills, training exercises, simulations, and on-the-job exercises to maintain occupational skills.
- Study technical material on Fire Department rules and regulations, fire hazards, and modern firefighting techniques, City layout, water systems, and related subjects.
- Prepare reports on preventive maintenance and with respect to work operations.
- Work 24-hour shifts and overtime; may be recalled to duty in cases of emergency.
- Serve as a substitute fire engineer under special instructions and limited conditions on a relief or training basis; operate and maintain motorized firefighting equipment; operate and adjust pump controls and other mechanical equipment to maintain correct water pressure consistent with the type of fire; drive and operate the tiller position on a ladder truck; operate ladder mechanism on an aerial truck; place truck to best advantage to facilitate fire fighting.
Education: Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade and successful completion of a State Fire Marshal approved Fire Academy.
Two years of full-time paid experience as a Firefighter with a municipal department may be substituted for the California State Certified Fire Academy requirement.
Necessary Special Requirements:
1. Possession of an appropriate, valid class “C” California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.2. Possession of a valid American Heart Association or Red Cross Health Care Provider Level Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification at the time of application.
3. Possession of a valid EMT certification or possession of a valid National Registry EMT or Paramedic Certification at the time of application.
5. Successful completion of the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) written exam dated September 5, 2016 through September 4, 2017.
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you will be required to register for the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) Written Exam and CAL-JAC Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and successfully complete both components no later than September 4, 2017, if you have not already done so. If selected, you will be notified via email of your status and provided with instructions about how to move forward. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.**Please note: You will not have the ability to attach documents to this application. All certifications will be verified through the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) OR during the background phase of the selection process.**The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the candidates meeting the qualifications to be notified to take the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) written exam and Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and complete both components no later than September 4, 2017. Additionally, this process will include oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment will be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, medical/physical examination, drug and alcohol test.
NOTE: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list.
All applicants will be notified via e-mail of their application status after the closing date of this announcement.
1. June 15, 2017 – June 25, 2017
Complete online application at riversideca.gov/jobs and register on the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) website at: https://www.fctconline.org/accounts/signup/
2. June 27, 2017 – July 4, 2017
Receive Pre-Qualification Email pending your successful completion of the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) and Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC) Written Exam
3. Now – September 4, 2017
Schedule both exams no later than Saturday, September 4, 2017:
Go To: https://www.fctconline.org/accounts/signup/
- CAL-JAC CPAT must be dated March 5, 2017 through September 4, 2017
- FCTC Written Exam must be dated September 5, 2016 through September 4, 2017 (FCTC will hold a written exam in the Riverside area on Wednesday, August 9, 2017)
4. September 12, 2017 – September 15, 2017
Email notifications will be sent to candidates selected to move forward to the next step of the selection process which will consist of oral interviews