Deadline: August 23, 2016
Salary: $52,824.00 Annually
Open includes all interested individuals including members of the general public.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE COMPLETING APPLICATION, PRINT AND KEEP FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Written Exam: September Â 16 or 17, 2016;Â Physical Ability Testing: September 19 – 20, 2016Â
(See “Examination” below for more information)
Eligible lists may be used for temporary and permanent vacancies for the class of work during the life of the eligible list.Â Temporary appointments may lead to conversion to permanent employment.
Serves in a trainee capacity, receiving on-and-off-the-job training to learn the theories, techniques and methods used in firefighting tasks under immediate supervision; and performs other duties as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Applicants must meet all the requirements for the position they are seeking as of the filing date of their application, unless otherwise specified.
Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently.Â Your possession of the required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for the position.Â Overall paid or unpaid experience must be of such scope and responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate that you have the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Note: Calculation of experience is based on full-time, 40-hour work weeks.Â Part-time experience must be pro-rated.Â Example: Twelve months of experience at 20 hours per week is equivalent to six months of experience.Â In addition, hours worked per week in excess of 40 hours per week will not be credited.Â Example: Twelve months of experience at 60 hours per week is equivalent to one year, not one and one-half years.
Training and Experience: A combination of education and experience substantially equivalent to:
- Graduation from high school; and
- Two (2) years of general work experience.
NOTE:Â 60 credits from an accredited college or university may be substituted for two (2) years of experience.Â Verification of education must be submitted within seven (7) days of filing application to be credited.Â TRANSCRIPTS DOWNLOADED FROM THE INTERNET ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license (Type 3);
- Prior to completion of probation: possession of an Emergency MedicalÂ Responder Certificate or equivalent or higher, American Heart Association Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation Certificate, and United States Lifesaving Association (USLA) Aquatic Rescue Response Team (ARRT)Â Certificate. (These certificates must be maintained on a current basis thereafter)
Ability to: understand oral and written instructions; learn and apply firefighting methods and techniques; learn hydraulics and the use and maintenance of various firefighting equipment; act quickly and effectively under adverse fire and/or emergency conditions; withstand hardships and hazards connected with firefighting; read and understand technically written material, rules and regulations pertaining to firefighting; work effectively with others.
Health and Physical Condition Requirements: Persons seeking appointment to positions in this class must meet the health, physical and agility condition standards deemed necessary and proper by the County of Kauai for performance of the duties.
Additional Job Information
Special Working Conditions: Irregular hours, shift and weekend work, and exposure to hazardous and obnoxious conditions as required.
Required Forms and Documentation at time of filing application:
- Evidence of graduation from high school or equivalent (copy of diploma or transcripts).
- Evidence of college credits if substituting education for experience. (copy of transcripts or degree)
- Evidence of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license (Type 3 or equivalent)
NOTE:Â Transcripts downloaded from the internet areÂ NOTÂ acceptable.Â Â A copy of your education degree or transcript MUST be submitted in order to be given credit.Â Copies will not be returned.Â Mail or drop off:Â Department of Human Resources, 4444 Rice Street, Suite 140, Lihue, HIÂ 96766 or email toÂ firstname.lastname@example.org withinÂ 7 calendar daysfrom filing this application.Â Office hours are Monday through Friday (except holidays) from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR FIRE FIGHTER TRAINEE APPLICANTS
- A pre-employment medical exam is required prior to employment at the applicant’s own expense.
- Out-of-State and neighbor island applicants must travel a minimum of three (3) times to Kauai for the written test and further evaluations.
- The probation period is part of the examination/selection process.Â All Fire Fighter Trainee recruits must successfully pass an initial probation of one (1) year before becoming a regular member of Civil Service.
- Information provided herein constitutes requirements known at the time of announcement of this examination and may be revised or changed without limitation or notice for good reason thereafter.
Examination: Written Exam September 16, 2016 or September 17, 2016Â
Applicants may be tested in areas of reading and oral comprehension, mathematical skills, mechanical reasoning, table interpretation and community living.Â Applicants must pass the written exam in order to proceed to the next step, the Physical Ability Test.
For the written exam you must bring:
- Â Picture Identification: (i.e. driver’s license â€“ this is required in order to participate).
- Â Admission letter â€“ E-mailed notice must be printed (providing admission letter from cell phone is not acceptable).
- Â Test Security Agreement (must be printed)
- Â A medium soft (#2) pencil with eraser.
NOTE: You will not be permitted to take the exam if you do not bring your picture I.D., Admission Letter and Test Security Agreement.Â
Physical Ability Test: September 19- 20, 2016 (Two days of events on Kauai only)
The ability test will be administered to a portion of the candidates at a time based on their scores on the written test and only as the need to fill vacancies as it arises.Â Candidates must be able to perform the following:
- 100 yard swim within 2 minutes 5 seconds.
- Dive and retrieve weight within 45 seconds after swim.
- Stair climb carrying a hose bundle, approximately 50 lbs, within 25 seconds.
- Aerial ladder climb (No time limit).
- Endurance event, one-mile run within 8 minutes.
- Fire attack and rescue event within 2 minutes 30 seconds.
Both examinations are administered only on Kaua’i.
Candidates will be notified by E-MAILÂ ONLYÂ as to the time and place of the Physical Ability Test no later than September 18, 2016.Â Â Be sure you have access to your e-mail.
If you are invited back for the Physical Ability Test, bring the items listed below:
- Picture Identification, (i.e. driver’s license â€“ this is required in order to participate).
- Admission sheet.
- Waiver of Physician’s Certification/Waiver for Claim of Injury.
Please be prompt when reporting for all testing. NOTE. Spectators are not allowed at the Physical Ability Testing.
Uniform Attire for the Physical Ability Test: Short sleeve T-Shirt, shorts, shoes (spikes or cleats are not allowed), swim goggles, bathing caps, nose clip and ear plugs are permitted. Fins are not allowed.
Other Essentials: Water, snacks, towel, prescription medication and sun block, etc.
Applicants must pass each event in order to move to the next event. Â Applicants must be able to meet the health and physical condition standards of the position.
For further information about Equal Employment Opportunity, the Merit Civil Service System, Citizenship and other requirements, Reasonable Accommodation, Veterans Preference, Examination Requirements, and the Internal Complaint and Merit Appeals Board Processes please visit the County of Kaua’i website at: www.kauai.gov
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.