Deadline: April 30, 2018
Incumbent is responsible for responding to various emergency situations including but not limited to, fires suppression, medical assistance and emergencies, and vehicular accidents that include heavy and/or awkward lifting demands, bending, pulling, and pushing, working in inclement weather when responding to various emergency situations, including hazardous materials incidents.
Physical Effort / Work Environment:
This position is identified as having occupational exposure to blood or other potentially infectious materials. Exposure to smoke, toxic chemicals, noxious gases/fumes, extreme temperatures, inclement weather, dangerous heights, trenches, manholes/confined spaces, bloodborne pathogens and other infectious materials, communicable diseases exposures, and violent/distraught individuals. No prolonged, extreme physical demands are associated with normal duties or assignments but incumbent may exert strenuous physical effort during emergency situations, such as fire suppression, by driving a vehicle at high speed, pulling heavy hoses/equipment, climbing stairs, forcing entry, wearing SCBA, and assisting with evacuation or care of accident victims. Incumbent must perform duties and take appropriate action in emergency situations, despite the stress associated with potential injury or loss of life to self or others. Incumbent serves on 24-hour call and regularly works irregular shifts, and/or extended hours.
Applicants MUST Have The Following “Minimum Licenses/Certification” At Time Of Application Submission:
- Must hold minimum certifications by the State of Indiana to include Firefighter I & II, or Equivalent. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide documentation of what “Equivalent” would be per the State of Indiana standards, if from another state.
- Must be Basic Indiana/National EMT with current certification.
- Must provide proof of passing CPAT test within 3 years of application date.
- Abilitytopassotherphysical/ladderclimb/height testing.
Standards For Appointment To The Department:
- The applicant must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age and less than thirty-six (36) years of age before appointment to the department (estimated hire date is August 2018).
- The applicant must be a high school graduate as evidenced by a diploma issued by a high school accredited by the department or agency of the State authorized to accredit high schools or have certification of an equivalent education.
- The applicant must reside in Kosciusko County or a county adjacent to Kosciusko County by the time of appointment.
- The applicant shall possess a valid driving license from the State of Indiana at the time of appointment.
- The applicant must submit to oral and skills testing interviews before the Hiring Committee and the Fire Chief for the purpose ofdetermining such characteristics as the applicant’s ability to communicate and handle stress, and to examine the applicant’s experience and background.
- Applicants must successfully pass a general aptitude test and the physical agility test per statewide guidelines.
- After a job offer is made, the applicant must pass a psychological screening and Pension physical examination and be accepted intothe PERF/77 Retirement Fund.
- Additionally, after selection the applicant must successfully complete, show progress/pass all training requirements.
Applicant Information Policy:
- This application is part of the hiring process and is used as part of the selection process.
- Failure to comply with instructions and the screening process stage will result in the rejection of the application.
- Failure to accurately and truthfully complete this form will result in the rejection of the application.
- Failure to return a completed application by the specific date will result is the rejection of the application.
- Applications without complete addresses, phone numbers, and zip codes will result in the rejection of the application.
- Failure to attach copy of, or letter explaining why they are not attached, FFI/IIStateCertifications, CPAT test, and Driver’s License will result in the rejection of the application.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.