Deadline: December 4, 2015
Salary: $64,724.00 Per Year
Applicants for the position of Yonkers Firefighter must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be at least 17 years and 6 months of age and not have reached their 29th birthday on the date of the written test. At the time of appointment, candidates must be at least 18 years old of age.
- Applicants who lack one month or less of the minimum age requirement shall be deemed eligible if otherwise qualified.
- A veteran with a period of military duty, as defined by Sect. 243 (1-b) of the New York State Military Law, can have deducted from the maximum age requirement up to six (6) years.
- High school graduate or equivalency diploma at the time of appointment.
- Must be legal residents of Westchester County for at least three (3) months immediately preceding the date of the written examination.
- Preference in appointment will be given to successful candidates who have been legal residents of the City of Yonkers for at least three (3) months immediately preceding the date of the written examination and continuously up to and including the date of appointment.
- Valid New York State Class D Driverâ€™s License at the time of appointment.
- Must pass medical exam and background investigation.
Download the Application
Where to Apply
Applicants must apply in person at one of two locations:
Firefighter Recruitment Office
Civil Service Office (beginning November 2, 2015)
- A $50.00 non-refundable application fee is required (check or money order); cash is not accepted.
- Proper documentation for proof of age.
- Proof of high school diploma or equivalency diploma at time of appointment.
- Proof of residency for three (3) consecutive months preceding the date of the written exam and continuously up to the date of appointment.
- If applying for Veteranâ€™s credits, applicants must submit separation papers (DD214).
- Valid New York State Class D Driver’s License at time of appointment.