Deadline: March 7, 2016
Salary: $32, 132.79 Annually
The Atlanta Fire Rescue Department (AFRD) is seeking qualified and committed persons for the position of Firefighter EMT – A. The AFRD staffs 35 fire stations, including five stations at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. It has more than 1,000 employees, sworn and civilian, serving an area of 132 square miles within the Atlanta city limits. As a Firefighter EMT – A, you will protect life and property by enforcing all city fire codes and ordinances and applicable State regulations. The City of Atlanta offers employees a comprehensive benefits package that includes health/life insurance, a retirement pension, annual vacation, sick leave accruals, and nine paid holidays.
All individuals applying for employment with the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department (AFRD) must meet the following conditions:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Possess a valid U.S. driverâ€™s license
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- Must have an acceptable 3 year driving record
- Successfully complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), oral panel interview, ASSET examination, background investigation, Captainâ€™s Interview, psychometric examination, Certified Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) examination, psychological evaluation, and a medical examination.
- Candidates are required to successfully complete the Atlanta Fire Rescue Training Academy. The 11 month program consists of intense physical fitness training that involves both Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Fire curriculums.
- Six (6) months of training are to become a certified EMT. Recruits must pass the
EMT â€“ Advanced examination and pass the National Registry of EMTâ€™s written
and practical test. The other 5- months are to become a certified Georgia Firefighter and a NPQ Firefighter II, which is a national certification.
- Once appointed to the sworn position of Firefighter, candidates must obtain a Georgia Class E Driverâ€™s License within 18 months of employment.
- Must also maintain continuous certification as a Georgia Firefighter and EMT-A.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statement on duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all the duties listed.
- Responds to emergency incidents including accidents, fires, and medical calls.
- Provides fire control/suppression duties.
- Performs rescue extrication work.
- Prevents disastrous incidents from affectingÂ lives and property and maximizes the saving of lives and property when disasters do occur.
- Maintains working knowledge of hydraulics, water supplies, pumping apparatus, fire codes, etc.
- Maintains apparatus and fire station equipment, furnishings, structures and fire station grounds.
- Attends training to learn proper and updated methods, procedures, and techniques.
- Works to achieve the highest level of cooperation and to enhance effectiveness and efficiency of fire protection within the City of Atlanta;and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Learn more about the Atlanta Fire Rescue Department at http://www.atlantaga.gov/index.aspx?page=187.
The application period runs through 4 p.m., March 7, 2016. All completed application packages must be returned in a file folder to the AFRD to the address below, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. All mailed applications must be postmarked on or before the closing date.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the AFRD, Background and Recruitment Section by email: email@example.com or by phone (404) 546-7020.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE E-MAILS THROUGHOUT THE APPLICATION AND BACKGROUND PROCESS FOR THIS POSITION. MAKE SURE YOU CAN RECEIVE E-MAILS FROM: firstname.lastname@example.org , SO BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR SPAM/JUNK MAIL BOX.
The City of Atlanta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, fill out this application and return it to:
226 Peachtree Street SW
Atlanta GA 30303
Attn: Background & Recruitment
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.