Deadline: April 18, 2019
Salary: $50,648.00 – $85,550.40 Annually
The Arlington County Fire Department (ACFD) is seeking qualified Firefighter/EMT Recruits to join our team of over 300 uniformed and civilian employees who serve a diverse and engaged community through prevention, education and professional response to all hazards.
ACFD welcomes motivated, service minded, and physically fit individuals who are committed to lifelong learning and who will display and uphold the values of the department. Our recruits perform responsible and challenging duties associated with fire suppression, rescue, basic or advanced life support, Hazmat and/or fire prevention. To learn more about the job duties of an ACFD Firefighter/EMT click here.
Joining our team as an emergency responder has unique benefits and provides challenging opportunities:
- Working in an urban community that includes high- and mid-rise buildings, a metrorail system, single occupancy homes and apartment complexes, interstates and highways, and a major national airport;
- Joining one of our special operations teams, such as hazardous materials, technical rescue or swift water rescue teams and/or bomb squad;
- Serving in a wide variety of functional areas such as fire prevention, emergency communications, logistics, health and safety, human resources and training;
- Collaborating with other regional fire and rescue departments and state and federal agencies who are dedicated to ensuring the safety of our community and region through an all hazards approach;
- Working 10-11 shifts per month with scheduled breaks of 1-4 days;
- Full health benefits, including a generous uniformed public safety retirement plan; and
- Pay premiums for certifications and other specialty areas.
Candidates should review the following information on the ACFD’s website before their scheduled written exam day:
- Required background packet documentation; (Download PDF reader)
- Hiring Process
- Written Exam Study Guide (Download PDF reader)
Our Fire Department is one of the most progressive and innovative in the country having the first professional female firefighter in 1974 and forming the nation’s first Metropolitan Medical Strike Team to respond to chemical, biological, and radiological terrorist attacks. We have 10 fire stations. Arlington is located right across the river from the nation’s capital with a population of 235,000. Follow our link for more information about our community.
Minimum: Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED and be at least 18 years of age by the date of the exam.
Desirable: Preference may be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Possession of Virginia EMT-I (Intermediate), EMT-P (Paramedic) Certification, or National Registry EMT-P (Paramedic) Certification.
Apply today if you are interested in joining our dedicated team of employees!
The written examination session is scheduled for May 18 and 19, 2019. You will only need to attend one exam session. Details regarding our comprehensive selection process will be provided at the test. You will receive further instructions about test location and scheduling via email.
Our examination process is comprehensive with a series of qualifying requirements, examinations and steps designed to ensure we identify the applicants who will be most successful in this career field:
- Written Examination;
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT);
- Character/Background Investigation;
- Panel Interview with Fire Department;
- Polygraph Examination; and
- Medical/Physical/Psychological Examinations.
NOTE: Applicants who did not pass the written exam period in the Summer of 2018 are not eligible to re-take the written exam for a period of one year from their Summer test date (tests administered on dates July 23, 30, and August 6, 2018). Applicants who took and successfully passed the written exam with Arlington County given in Summer of 2018 are not required to re-take the written exam but must go through the remaining steps of the process, and are required to submit another online application.Additional Information
Make sure we are able to connect with you throughout the hiring process by providing us with an accurate email and mailing address.
If you possess a current valid Virginia (VA) EMT-Intermediate or VA Paramedic certification you will be eligible to receive the relative premium pay upon hire as follows:
- VA EMT Intermediate – $0.87 per hour (non-shift rate)
- VA Paramedic – $1.73 per hour (non-shift rate)
Want more information about becoming a Firefighter/EMT? Click below for more specific details about the Fire Department, this recruitment, including an overview of the hiring process, and to obtain the required downloadable documents.
- Visit the Fire Department’s website (www.arlingtonva.us/fire) and click on employment info under Quick Links.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.