Deadline: February 14, 2019
Salary: $30,651.00 Annually
Performs explicit general duty firefighting, rescue, and responds to emergency calls to protect life and property. Participates in fire prevention activities that include but are not limited to, fire inspection, fire investigation and public safety education, emergency medical services and education programs such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Firefighter is the first level in a career path that offers advancement based on attainment of specific skills beyond those required of the position. Firefighters are expected to learn and perform all firefighting tasks, upkeep and care of equipment, apparatus, buildings, and perform emergency medical treatment. Work is performed according to well-defined protocols and procedures and considerable independent judgment is required to respond to emergency situations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of duties with an engine team. Drives at skill and license level and operates fire apparatus and pumps. Lays and connects hose to hydrant or to pressurized water tank. Holds nozzles and directs fog or water streams.
- Sets and raises ladders for elevated access to structures. Ventilates buildings and places salvage covers over furniture and interior fixtures. Directs occupants of buildings to safety, performing rescue operations as needed. May setup and provide emergency power and lighting. Removes debris from fire sites.
- Performs fire suppression duties in environments where toxic and volatile fumes are present and surfaces may be unstable.
- Performs rescue duties. Drives and/or attends a rescue apparatus. Attends to the public under stress/urgent conditions. Uses emergency medical techniques and apparatus to restore cardiopulmonary functions and administers varying degrees of first aid to injured persons. Removes trapped accident victims. Administers oxygen to victims as needed.
- Performs administrative duties such as fire alarm response, fire and emergency calls. Maintains logs of all emergency calls and compiles alarm records.
- Provides general fire information to the public. Performs daily readiness tests on emergency communications equipment.
- Participates in fire prevention and continuing activities such as fire drills, public safety education, demonstrations, and safety principles. Attends classes in fire fighting, emergency medical training, and related topics. May serve as an instructor.
- May assist in inspections of buildings, both pre-fire and for Fire Code enforcement, and fire hydrants.
- Performs general upkeep, care, and servicing work in hanging and drying hose, cleaning wearable gear, cleaning and servicing vehicles, cleaning and maintaining the firehouse and grounds, and inventorying materials and supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position.
Knowledge and Skills
The position requires basic knowledge of the principles of specialized equipment mechanics and skill at equipment operation. Requires knowledge of and skill at using hand held communications devices. Requires sufficient knowledge of English language to read and comprehend fire suppression and prevention, building safety, equipment operation, and basic medical materials and information. Requires sufficient math skills to record distances and measurements. Requires sufficient human relations skills to convey information to a variety of individuals and groups inside the department and in the community.
Requires the ability to learn various and numerous fire suppression and fire prevention methods, procedures, and techniques including the operation of firefighting equipment.
Requires the ability to learn and recall the street system pattern and physical design of the City and service area as well as building characteristics. Requires the ability to learn and respond to emergency situations when not directly supervised and to act quickly and calmly in emergency situations. Requires the ability to maintain detailed routine records. Requires the ability to complete all required courses of study and continuing education. Requires the ability to learn and operate the fire suppression, rescue, and emergency medical equipment used by the City. Requires the ability to complete the Firefighter I curriculum at an approved academy or college and obtain a Class B driver’s license.
Requires the ability to performing ardent physical labor on an intermittent basis, stand for extended periods of time, walk up to 400 yards, carrying and manipulating (lift, move) medium to heavy weights of up to 75 pounds on a regular basis without assistance. Requires the ability to push, pull, and guide materials over 75 pounds. Requires the ability to climb (e.g. ladders), stoop, kneel, and crouch on a regular basis and on unstable surfaces. Requires sufficient hand-eye coordination, hand and finger dexterity including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to operate specialized equipment and read technical and safety information. Requires auditory ability to hear voices, machinery sounds, and alarms. Requires near and far visual acuity to read printed materials, moving objects, and observe work-in-progress. Requires speaking ability to carry on ordinary conversations and extend voice in noisy environs. Requires the ability to work in extreme temperatures, dangerous conditions, in, and among toxic fumes, and unstable surfaces.
Education and Experience
The position requires a high school diploma or equivalent and post-secondary training in operation of specialized heavy equipment. Requires completion of training and/or coursework and current firefighter and EMT certificates.Post-secondary education in fire suppression is preferred.
Licenses and Certificates
Requires a valid driver’s license (Class B) and current EMT certificate and Texas Fire Commission certification. Comply with the Fire/EMS CE requirements
Work is performed indoors and outdoors in dangerous situations requiring extreme care and attention to safe work habits and donning of safety gear. Successful completion of annual agility test. Subject to callback.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.