Deadline: September 15, 2017
Salary: $54,494 – $86,972 Annually
The City of Fairfax Fire Department is accepting applications to establish a pool of qualified candidates to fill future vacancies for Fire Fighter/EMT positions.
Duties:Performs a wide range of technical and physically demanding work in fire prevention, fire suppression, rescue, emergency medical services, and public life safety education. These duties include driving and operating fire and EMS vehicles and the use of fire and EMS technical equipment. These duties are often performed under stress and in a variety of hazardous work environments. Performs other duties as assigned.Requirements:1) Must be at least 18 years of age.
2) Minimum of 2 years of fire and EMS experience.
3) Applicants must be currently certified at the following levels:
• NFPA Fire Fighter II (Virginia Department of Fire Programs or
Professional Qualifications Board (ProBoard) or International Fire Services Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) certification)
• Emergency Medical Technician – Basic or greaterDesirable Qualifications:1) Hazardous Materials – Operations Level
2) Emergency Vehicle Operator Certification
Copies of current technical certifications must be attached to the City of Fairfax job application at the time of submission. Training and work experience that is deemed by the department to be equivalent to the above referenced technical certifications may be considered.
Candidates chosen to participate in the selection process will be required to pass a written examination (for technical knowledge), a work performance evaluation (for technical skill, physical strength and stamina), an initial oral interview, and an online EMS aptitude test.
Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment must pass a job-related physical examination, polygraph examination, a comprehensive background investigation and final interview. Fire Department employees are required to sign an employment agreement that includes a non-tobacco use clause. All employees must possess and maintain a valid vehicle operator’s license and good driving record.
As an equal opportunity employer and in order to respond to the needs of a diverse community, minorities and women are encouraged to submit applications.
Hours:Employees in this class may be assigned to work rotating shifts or a straight day work schedule, as required.Salary:$54,494 – $86,972 Excellent benefitsClosing Date:Friday, September 15, 2017 Back to Available Jobs
If you’d like to apply for a job opening, you may do one of the following:
- Fill out an Online Job Application Form
- Download & Save Job Application in MS Word or Job Application in Adobe PDF fill it out and send it to us by US Postal Mail, or send email to Jobs@fairfaxva.gov
- Leave your name, address and the title of the job position on the recording at 703.385.7861
- Visit the Personnel Office from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday – Friday, City Hall, Room 331, 10455 Armstrong Street, Fairfax VA 22030.
How to Apply: The full job description and application can be found HERE.